Chapter 10

Thursday was quiet.  I kept to myself as the girls chatted with their boyfriends in the morning, and shrugged my shoulders at lunch when they asked about Kurt.  Why did they have to know?  My business was my business.  If they found out that Kurt and I were going out on a date the next night, I knew they would be all over me about doing my hair and makeup, telling me things to say and to avoid.  I just didn’t want their input. 

After LRA, Kurt and I talked by my locker.  He finally put his number in my phone.  It felt good that he would be so easy to contact.  While we waited for Mom to pick me up, we talked about possible date ideas.  When I told her about it the night before, other than practically exploding out of her skin with joy, Mom gave me the idea of the movies.  It was simple and wouldn’t be super intimate. 

“I think that sounds like a good plan,” he said after I told him my idea. 

“What time should we meet?” 

“Well.” He moved closer.  “How about I look up some movies and some times and then I’ll text you later.” 

I smiled, then heard Mom’s car approaching. 

When Friday night came, we planned on seeing Vengeance in the Cosmos at six-thirty.  I was totally confused over what to wear, so I just felt around in the closet for something and used Mom’s eyes to help out.  She recommended the turquoise sweater and dark jeans.  If it looked good to her, Kurt would probably think it was fantastic. 

Around six, I hopped in the car and Mom drove us to the theater.  Since we weren’t sure about the driving situation, Kurt decided to just meet there.  Mom waited with me and Star on one of the outside benches, although I was refusing.  I was waiting for my date and no offense, but I didn’t want my mommy sitting with me.  She was just a freak about leaving me alone anywhere that I wasn’t completely familiar with.  In my life, there were only a few movies I’d listened to in the theater. 

After only five minutes of waiting outside, I rolled up my sleeves.  We were having a rare late-November heat wave, so Mom’s sweater idea wasn’t working.  Plus, since I was nervous and rushed out of the house, I forgot to put on deodorant.  At least there was a breeze to keep me aired-out. I kept holding on to my long hair, afraid that it would get messy from the wind. 

Mom was tense as we waited.  When she wasn’t talking, something was always wrong.  That only made me more uptight.  Usually, she’d try to break the ice and talk to me in those types of nerve-wracking situations, maybe even make me laugh.  But then, she didn’t even say a word.  I just sat in my seat, shaking and trying to calm my anxiety. 

It was about five minutes later when I heard the call, then the sneakers.  Kurt trotted over and I let go of my hair, my lips forming a massive grin.    

“Lia!” Kurt stopped, his breath heavy.  “Oh wow.  You just—wow you look really great.”      

I got up to hug him.  It was like his arms melted away all the anxiety of being smelly, being on my first real date ever with this amazing guy.