Chapter 8

Sarah and Nathan came to my locker the next morning while I waited for Kurt.  I smelled coffee on them.  Once again, Nathan drove them to his Hug-a-Mug before school and neglected to bring me a jelly donut.   I always told Sarah the night before.  She and Nathan always forgot because it was “too early.”

“You went to Hug-a-Mug,” I said to them.  “Where’s my donut?” 

“Free refreshments are for one girl and one girl only,” Nathan said. 

“If I paid you ahead of time, would you bring me a donut?”  I asked. 

“Probably not.” 

Sarah bent forward, laughing a bit.  “You’re so funny babe,” she said before giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. 

Star nudged my leg.  I patted her head and went back to finding my books.  Behind me, Sarah and Nathan’s lips were being pressed against each other.  I could hear them disgustingly moving in sync with each other.  Thankfully, their hallway make out session was interrupted by a pair of sneakers coming closer.  I turned and held my arms out. 

“Well, hey there,” Kurt said.    

I felt his arms envelop me.  They were a little lower this time.  I squeezed him tighter.  He squeezed back. 

“I’m glad to see you today,” I said. 

“I’m happy to see you too Lia,” he said. 

His lips were so, so close to my neck.  I would’ve given anything to just have him press them down.  If I wasn’t in the middle of the hallway with Sarah watching, I definitely would’ve just put my hand on his head and forced him closer.  Again, the whole hug was great.  The Sarah gasped. 

I heard her boots jumping up and down.  Kurt and I split apart.  When we did, our hands accidentally brushed against each other.  We turned to face her and Nathan, who smelled slightly better with his body spray being masked by blueberry coffee. 

“You’re Kurt,” Sarah said, before side-hugging me.  “I’m Sarah.  I’m sure she’s told you about me.  I’m her bestie.” 

I gaged.  The only thing worse than the word “Nathan” was “bestie.”  Kurt chuckled and I heard him extend his hand. 

“Kurt Hines.  Nice to meet you.”  He paused.  Nathan’s leather jacket squeaked as he moved his arm up and down.  “And you must be Nathan.” 

“Indeed.  Wait, Hines?  Is your dad Kevin?” 

“Yup,” he said proudly. 

I really wanted to punch him in the arm for saying something so stupid.  With a sigh, I closed my locker and leaned my head on the door.  What was he thinking? 

Nathan keeled over with laughter.  It was that same, playful high pitched sound he made since he kicked dirt on me for the first time when we were six.  I tried to take a few breaths to calm myself.  It wasn’t working. 

“When we saw that there was going to be another coffee shop down the road,” Nathan said in between his hyena laughs, “we thought, ‘how stupid are those people?’”