Chapter 16

I was stiff in the backseat of the car as we road to the emergency vet.  It felt like I was still breathing, yet experiencing rigor mortis at the same time.  Star was perking up like nothing had happened.  She leaned on my lap, her wagging tail slapping against the seat.  The car bumped and jostled from side to side, the roads still a mess from the previous night’s snowstorm. 

“Lia, are you doing okay?” Dad asked from the passenger seat. 

“I’ll be fine,” I said quickly. 

“I’m sure it’s nothing,” Mom said, turning the car.  “She probably just has epilepsy or something.” 

I scratched Star’s furry back.  “I honestly don’t want to know.”    

After the nauseating ride, we pulled into the parking lot of the emergency vet and got out of the car.  I clung to Star’s rarely-used leash, which my parents suggested.  I also didn’t want to deal with taking her harness on and off while she was examined.  Mom walked over to me, her sneakers crunching against the ground. 

“Listen, you need to walk carefully.  The whole parking lot is full of ice,” she said. 

“I’ll be fine.  Let’s just go,” I said. 

Lowering my head, we went towards the front entrance.  After a few steps, I fell flat on my behind.  I groaned and brushed myself off once I got to my feet.  Without an argument, I handed Star to my dad and held onto Mom’s arms the rest of the way. 

The emergency vet smelled terrible when we talked in.  It was like a mixture of that sterile hospital smell and wet dog.  I found a seat and waited there with Star while my parents filled out the clipboard full of forms. 

“What are we going to do with you Star?” I said, scratching under her chin. 

Mom and Dad joined me.  I could hear him scribbling furiously with the pen.  Then there was the wait.  I leaned back in the uncomfortable seat, listening to barking dogs and secretaries typing up a storm behind the counter.  After a while, I heard a voice say, “Star?  Star Thomas?” 

We walked up to the woman who I assumed was the nurse and were then led to an examination room where we did even more waiting.  I sat down in a chair that was even more uncomfortable and took out my phone. 

“Send a text to Kurt,” I said.  “Tell him to call me later.” 

The phone pinged in response.  Mom said, “This place is filthy.  Hopefully she doesn’t bring fleas home.” 

I listened to the clock ticking on the wall and waited for a response from Kurt.  I knew he liked to get up late, but it had to be almost noon.  Finally, a door on the opposite end of the room opened and someone walked in. 

“Well, hello there!” the woman said before coming over to me.  “I’m Doctor Baker.”  I heard her reach down and pet Star, who went closer to her.  “What a sweetheart.  So I looked at the chart you filled out here and it says that you think she may have had a seizure.”