Chapter 9

I just ignored him and kept digging through my crowded backpack.  Paying?  Was he serious?  My friends didn’t even pay for my food on my birthday.  Kurt placed his hand on my back and I shivered. 

            “Lia, I’ve got it.” 

            “You sure?” 

            “Yes.  Just go sit down.”

            I sighed and shook my head, then weaved in and out of tired students as Star helped me find an empty table.  The limited seating left me no other choice but the lovely booth by the bathroom.  My phone vibrated in my back pocket when I sat down. I took it out and it said, “One new message.”

            “Read message,” I said. 

            “New message from Mom: Hope you are with Kurt.” 

            I put it down and slid it to the side of the table.  At this point, I was ready to give up on fighting with everyone else.  In the booth behind me, I listened to a group of seniors gloat to each other about their college acceptances.  It was pretty disturbing that I’d have to be in the same position in a year. 

            Kurt sat down, the plastic tray making a nice clanking sound when it hit the table.  I smiled and reached for my fries.  As usual, I gave Star the first few.  She placed her head in my lap as I ate, waiting for more. 

            “So how is the new business going?” I asked, placing a cheese-coated fry in my mouth. 

            He sighed.  “It’s a mess.  We finally have a band that’s going to play this weekend, though.” 

            “Oh, it’s one of those kinds of places,” I said.  “It’d be pretty cool to have something like that around here.” 

            “I just wish we had better bands,” Kurt said.  “Or something that would make people show up.” 

            “If I had a band, I’d play for you guys,” I said, trying not to laugh. 

            I heard him lean forward.  “You play?” he asked excitedly. 

            “Oh hell yeah!” I leaned back and crossed my arms. “I’m the best blind drummer my family has ever seen!” 

             “Dude, that’s awesome!”  He leaned back as well, laughing. “I’ve played guitar my whole life.  We should team up or something.” 

            I don’t know why, but without thinking, I said, “I love you,” and there was that awkward silence.  In those few seconds I panicked again.  I didn’t mean for him to take it literally.  Who does that?