When the Levee Breaks

*A/N:

I know I mentioned posting this chapter on Wednesday/Thursday, but I had some stuff come up and it was delayed a little bit. My apologies guys, but please enjoy the chapter!

They materialized in the room followed by a massive gush of wind. Stray papers were thrown into the air, twisting and writhing aimlessly before settling aimlessly down onto the floor.

Sam, who had been sitting restlessly in a nearby chair, startled at the unannounced arrival. His instinctive reaction was to jump into defense mode and ward off any unwelcome visitors. Sam was worried that other angels or demons would find him and ambush the Cas and Gabriel when they returned with Dean.

As he leaped to his feet, Sam held an angel blade firmly in one hand and the demon knife in the other. Sam was ready to have a fight to the death if need be. However, when he saw who the new arrival was, Sam let the weapon clatter onto a book filled table.

Standing before him was Cas, his face covered in blood and soot, trench torn to shreds, but seeming overall unscathed. In his arms, held close to his chest was a woman who Sam quickly recognized to be Dean.

"Oh my God," Sam exclaimed with a sigh of relief. "You found him! You fucking found him."

Cas nodded, giving Sam a happy, but, worn smile. "He is weak and tired, but overall, Dean seems to be physically unharmed," Cas explained.

"I could kiss you right now," Sam remarked in delight.

Cas gave Sam and funny look, cocking his head to the side as he said, "I think that might be a little inappropriate."

"Not to mention I'd kick your ass if you tried," Dean scoffed hoarsely from his spot in Castiel's arms.

Sam couldn't help cracking a smile at his brother's comment. It was good to hear Dean's voice again even if it sounded small and broken. He had thought Dean was sleeping, or unconscious maybe, but it was reassuring to hear his brother again, even if his voice sounded a little rough at the moment.

"We should get him to a bed and lay him down," Sam suggested, hovering close to Cas. He wanted to get a better look at his brother to make sure that Dean still looked like he was in one piece.

When Sam's hazel met Dean's green ones, a smile split across his brother's face.

"Heya Sammy," he chuckled. Dean looked like he barely had the energy to talk but his face light up when he caught sight of his Sam. "Didja miss me?"

"Course not," Sam teased with a soft smile. Dean knew he should be pissed at Dean. He should be yelling and telling his brother how stupid he was, but Sam couldn't bring himself to be angry when Dean looked so fragile. Sam was more relieved that Dean was back with them again.

"Shut up, bitch," Dean playfully scoffed.

Sam rolled his eyes and replied, "Jerk."

A small smile tugged at the corner of Castiel's lips as he watched the little exchange. It was so reassuring to hear Sam and Dean's usual brotherly banter. Cas had become so accustomed to it that he hadn't realized how much he missed it until it was gone. There was a lot that he missed when Dean was gone. Things just weren't the same without Dean around. Dean hadn't been gone for very long, but still, Castiel's world seemed just a little darker without the eldest Winchester by his side.

Now that Dean was back, Cas wanted to announce his joy to the world, but his vessel was aching with exhaustion. Cas could feel himself winding down and weakening because of how much grace he had burned through on the mission. He needed to recharge himself so he could be back in peak condition.