Ashes, Ashes, We all Fall Down

"Cas, I think the baby is coming." Dean knew the words fell from his mouth, he could hear himself speaking aloud, but the sounds felt foreign on his tongue. Reality seemed to be twisting and warping around him, the room appeared to be spinning, and Dean felt like he was about to be sick.

In his chest, his heart was pounding with fear as panic struck him to his core. Dean could feel his body start to quiver uncontrollably as the weight of the situation began to sink in. Of course, he had been expecting this moment to come and had done his best to prepare for it, but still, now that the time had finally arrived, Dean felt helpless and small. His mind was racing, filled with too many thoughts while time itself seemed to have momentarily frozen.

Cas hadn't said anything since Dean made his surprise announcement. He was just sitting beside Dean, staring at him with wide eyes, his jaw hanging slack. Cas seemed completely incapable of movement, looking more like an angel made out of stone, than one composed out of living flesh and blood. Even the air around them seemed to have fallen still. Dean found himself holding his breath as not to break the strained silence.

Deep down, Dean wanted to scream at Cas. He wanted to reach out and shake him, beg him to move, demand him to do something, anything but Cas looking at Dean unblinking, like a deer caught in headlights. Cas had to be in shock. Dean thought he himself might be in shock too because instead of talking he just stared right back at Cas, waiting for everything to sink in. It seemed as if all air had been stolen from their lungs and all the words wiped from their tongues. The moment seemed to last a lifetime before anything happened.

The spell was finally brought to an abrupt end as Dean's body was overcome with another contraction. His face contorted in agony as rippled of pain spasmed through his muscles, making him curl in on himself. Before the feeling passed, Castiel jumped into action. The moment of stunned surprise was gone as Castiel grasped the reality of the situation at hand.

Without warning, the overhead lights flooded to life and Dean found himself blinded. Spots of color flashed before Dean's eyes as he rapidly blinked against the offending light. Beside him, Castiel was quickly stood up and leaning towards Dean. In the next instant, Castiel's strong, steady arms wrapped around him and picked him up off the bed.

As he was carried out of the room, Castiel began to call for Sam and Gabriel, the panic in his tone practically tangible in the air. Dean knew that Cas was trying to contain his worry and fear, but the mask was already slipping. Cas was terrified, and Dean knew it. Hell, he was scared too. Dean was all too aware that this might very well be his last day on earth. Dean couldn't blame the others for being so worried about him. In this situation, it would be nearly impossible for anyone to remain calm and collected.

Wrapped securely in Castiel's arm, Dean tried to keep his breathing steady in an attempt to starve off an impending panic attack. Having a mental breakdown right now really wouldn't be in his best interest. Giving up now was not an option. Instead, Dean rested one hand on top of his round stomach to protect the little girl inside. If he focused on keeping her safe and told himself that things would be alright, then it would be. Maybe he'd be able to himself together long enough to get the worst part over with.Deep down, Dean knew that he was lying to himself. Over the years he had mastered that trait.

Now that the time was finally here, Dean knew that he had to keep fighting, not only for his own life but also the life of his daughter. He knew no matter what he told himself; there was no way of knowing if he'd make it through this alive. However, Dean certainly wasn't going to just roll over and die without even trying. As long as he had his family by his side, he was determined to fight for as long as he could. After all, he knew his life was in the hands of three very capable and determined individuals. Dean knew that Sam, Cas, and Gabriel wouldn't give up without exploiting every available option. Over the years they had pulled souls from hell, evaded death, and even defeated the devil himself. This was just one more obstacle they needed to overcome.