Born this Way

*A/N: Hey y'all! I know it has been a while since my last update, but it I have had a very long couple of months with school and life in general. Plus, I hit a roadblock with this chapter multiple times and it took me ages to actually complete it. It makes me happy to be able to bring you guys new updates, I just wish I could write the updates faster for you all! Anyways, I hope y'all enjoy the chapter, after four years, this story has almost reached its conclusion! There is just one more chapter after this one!

*All errors are mine, feel free to leave a comment if you find something that needs fixing*

~~~

"You've got to be fucking joking," Dean spat, his voice colored with a mix of horror and disbelief. "How the fuck did I cause this? One second those witch bitches were trying to murder me and the next second it sounds like someone set off a Goddamn bomb!"

Dean mind was a jumble of scattered thoughts and confusion. There was no fucking way this was his fault, but according to Gabriel, he had been the one who caused the explosion. Dean was pretty damn sure that he'd never be able to blow shit up before now. Gabriel had to be pulling his leg.

"We warned you that soul bonding had a lot of risks," Gabriel replied with a shrug. "Sometimes those risks result in unusual side effects." His face was usually calm, almost void of emotion as he spoke. All the while Gabriel made it a point to avoid Dean's questioning gaze.

"Oh yeah, and that totally clears everything up," Dean snarled when it was clear that Gabriel wasn't going to offer any further explanations. He risked a glance over at Sam and saw that he wasn't the only one confused. Sam's face was pinched, eyes flitting between Gabriel and Dean, clearly unsatisfied with the less than ample explanation.

Castiel tugged at Dean's arm and helped him climb gingerly to his feet. Around him, the world rocked and swayed, disorientation hitting him again like a punch to the gut. Dean felt like his body had been replaced with rubber. He clung to Cas like a lifeline as his legs threatened to give out again, all his energy had drained from his body and left him to feel like an empty shell straining to stay together under the crushing weight of utter exhaustion. Cas held him steady, giving Dean enough support to keep him from collapsing back onto the floor.

"Cas, do you care to explain this little anomaly for us since your douche of brother doesn't seem like he wants to talk," Dean huffed. He shot a dark look in Gabriel's direction to which he countered by rolling his eyes and flashing him the middle finger.

Cas sighed audibly. He seemed just as uncomfortable as Gabriel. Whatever happened, obviously wasn't good. "Your DNA was rewritten," Castiel began. Dean watched Castiel's expression grow dark and hard, the lines of his face pulled tight with stress and worry. "When we let our souls bond, we didn't exist as two individual people, we were one solid, unified entity. I'm sure you could feel that." Dean nodded in confirmation but stayed silent otherwise.

"The reason we felt like that," Cas continued, fidgeting slightly, "was because we had a constant stream of information flowing between on down to a molecular level. All of our genetic information was thrown into a mixer and blended together. That's why we felt as if we had become one person, because, in essence, we were. Once the bond breaks, our information is supposed to jump back into the correct body like snapping a rubber band, but sometimes those rubber bands break, which is part of why soul bonding is so dangerous."

Dean opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again, too stunned to form words. This was beyond Dean's scope of understanding, starting to sound more like the plot of a bad sci-fi movie than real life. Dean had to admit, even for them, this was weird, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers weird.