~ ONE ~

~~

~~

I looked at myself in the mirror. A day had passed since Jane visited me. Just thinking of her name sent shivers down my spine. I still hadn't recovered, mentally or physically. The bruises on my neck were still prominent. The black and blue hand print was a sharp contrast to my pale skin. I knew I would have to wear a scarf to cover it up.

I put on a black scarf and kept my hair down as an extra precaution. I prayed that no one would notice the bruises.

...

"What is the most meaningful saying to you?" Mr. Birdie, my English teacher, was asking the class. He wanted us to write it down.

I never really had a saying that "spoke" to me. I didn't see things as more than what they were unless I truly felt something about it. So, I thought hard about all the sayings I had ever heard. Then it came to me. I wrote on my paper:

Time waits for no one.

It meant a lot, those five words. It related to my life experiences an awful lot.

"Avery, would you read what you wrote?" Mr. Birdie asked me.

I wanted to sit down but he gave me the "if you don't do it I'll take off points" look. That was enough to get me to stand up. As soon as I did though, I regretted it.

"Um...I wrote down 'time waits for no one' as my saying."

"And why? What does that mean to you?"

Time to make up some Grade A bullshit. "Well, it means exactly what it says. Although time is associated with waiting it won't actually do that. Life, or time, will go on without you. Life doesn't wait for anyone, essentially."

"You didn't mention yourself, Avery. I need you to relate the saying to yourself. Has time gone by without you?" He pressed.

"Well I'm involuntarily put in school for eight hours, five days a week so I'd say yeah, time has left me behind." I joked. I hoped the joke would show him how done I was with speaking in front of the class.

He laughed along with the rest of the class and let me sit down.

"Alright class, so your next test will be an essay," A collective groan from the class. "You will interview someone who relates with your chosen saying. Now make sure it's a good essay because you will present it."

The bell rang and the class packed up quickly. Mr. Birdie shouted the due date out as we were leaving. In three weeks. That's a good amount of time, I think.

My next class was with Jasper. I wasn't sure if he was going to speak to me. I just wanted to know why he was so mad when I mentioned Jacob. It can't be jealousy, Jasper isn't like that. At least I don't think he is.

He didn't greet me when I sat down next to him. Most days he does. I could already feel the tension between us.

The tension was bothering me so I tried to end it by talking. "Hey, Jasper," I said awkwardly. 

"Hello," His tone was just pain, like if it was killing him to just talk to me. He didn't even face me. I tried to pretend like it didn't bother me but Jasper noticed it anyway. "I'm not mad at you. It's just that...his friends are not good company."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"They're dangerous."

"You're more of a danger than they are." I defended, even though I had never met Jacob's friends.

"I would never hurt you, Avery."

"Definitely, it's not like you go crazy at the scent of blood or anything." I mumbled angrily.

Jasper and I said nothing else to each other the rest of class.

...

While sitting at lunch all I could think about was who I could interview for my English essay. Thinking about it took my mind off of the events of last night and of Jasper, which was just what I needed.

I could ask one of the Cullens. They literally have all the time in the world. And they might have wise words about life and time.

...

I had set my mind on Edward. I don't speak to him often and getting to know him would be benefical.

The school day had just ended and we were in the parking lot. Edward was waiting for Bella near her car. I swear, Edward's life revolves around Bella. In a way it's cute. It shows that he actually cares about her, because if he didn't I would have a very good reason to kill him.

"Hey, Edward." I greeted as I walked to him.

"Hello, Avery." He gave a small smile.

"Wanna do a favor for me?" I asked.

"It depends." He said questioningly.

"It's for English. I have to interview someone who relates with my chosen saying. Mine was: time waits for no one."

"Why ask me?"

"Because I feel like you have some insightful thoughts about life and time. I won't use your real name though." I added trying to persuade him to do it.

"Alright, I'll do it." He said while looking off in the distance behind me. Bella was walking towards us. I can guarantee that Bella was the reason Edward agreed to help me.

We quickly set up a time and day before Bella got to us. Had she gotten here before then Edward's schedule would somehow magically fill up.

A/N
There's the first chapter it was kind of a filler just bc I had to basically "introduce" this all over again but not really. I'm bad at explaining but the next chapter will be way better. Anyways, thanks for reading!