~ SIX ~

~~

~~

I could never understand what she was going through. The love of her life left her behind in this rainy town. Another Edward wasn't going to show up. To Bella, this was the end. Life couldn't continue as normal for her because life wasn't normal without him.

Bella would just sit at the Cullens old table thinking about them, more specifically Edward. The first few times I would sit with her. We wouldn't say much. I was there just in case she fell too deep and needed someone to pull her back up. She didn't want comfort, she wanted Edward. So because I couldn't give that to her I just felt the emotions with her. What Bella needed the most now was someone to be there so she wouldn't feel so alone.

Then, one day suddenly, Bella told me she wanted to sit by herself. And I let her. I would sit at our usual table with Jessica, Angela and the guys and talk. Occasionally I would check her through the connection to make sure she wasn't too far into her feelings.

I was worried that Bella might reach a suicidal point but no. She was just at a point of not knowing what to or how to feel. She wasn't sure of what to do at all. She was just this constant, still line now. Bella didn't smile, didn't laugh. She was void of emotion, especially positive ones. Yet, everytime I asked her if she was okay

...

One day I had just gotten sick of Bella telling me she was okay. I called Jacob to get his input. I mean he is an old friend of hers he has to know how to get her out of a low point.

"She's just been acting dull since she went missing. And she didn't want to talk about it too much. What do you suggest to make her happy?"

"Have you tried going somewhere with her out of school? Just to make sure you aren't the problem." Jacob suggested.

I never told him that Edward and the Cullens had left. I wasn't sure if I wanted Jacob to know that I knew the Cullens that well. "I don't think I'm the problem. But I'll try asking her to go see a movie. Maybe that will get her spirits up."

"Will you ask me to the movies after you ask Bella, though?" He joked. I could hear his smile.

"Jacob, for real." I tried to get him back on topic but it was hard with a smile appearing on my face as well. "Bella's been feeling really down and it's worrying me."

"Do you think it has to do with Edward?"

"Um, I--I don't know, maybe." The one thing I didn't want to talk about of course was mentioned. "I'll just see how she reacts to going to the movies tomorrow."

"Alright," Another smile from him.

"Alright," I said back. That was the great thing about Jacob. No matter what emotion he could make me smile. Even when he wasn't trying to.

"...Avery, um, I--uh." I thought he was going to say those three magic words. The words that would make me fall into the abyss that was Jacob Black. But he didn't, he stopped himself. Maybe he thought it was too soon. "You'll call me tomorrow then?" He said as a cover up.

"Yeah, Jacob. Good night."

"Get that beauty sleep--" Jacob must have gotten self conscious which developed into awkwardness. "I mean not that you need it or anything! You look great, amazing even--"

"Jacob," I laughed, "Bye."

Then I hung up. I felt like those girls in the typical high school movies. When she finishes the call with the boy of her dreams and can't help but blush heavily and giggle like there's no tomorrow. It felt great to know that I was as happy as a girl in that type of movie. Or that I could even be that happy.

...

I showed up at Bella's house at around 7:00 pm. She said yes to the movie but asked if I could give her a ride. Nothing was wrong with her car, that I knew of. Maybe she was just tired; mentally and physically.

Charlie greeted me at the door. There were noticeable bags under his eyes. I wondered what was causing him to lose sleep.

"It's good that Bella's finally getting out. She needs a friend right now. Edward leaving is really messing with her." He told me. I guess he was trying to say thanks.

"She's been isolating herself at school lately and I thought a movie would be nice." I said to keep from being awkward and quiet.

"What movie are you going to see?"

"It's a zombie movie, I think. Bella chose it."

"A horror movie? She's been having really bad nightmares lately, I don't know why she would choose that."

As soon as Charlie said she'd been having nightmares I was going to ask him more about it but, Bella footsteps were heard coming down the stairs.

"Hey, Avery." She grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the door. "See you later, Charlie."

"What was that?" I asked when we got outside. I'd never seen Bella so rushed to leave. She didn't even tell Charlie when we would get back. It was completely unlike her.

"Nothing, but we should hurry up before we miss the movie." She was still trying to rush me.

"But, Bella--"

"It's nothing. Can we just drop it?" She snapped.

I furrowed my brows and was about to ask why she was being so damn rude but I held my tongue. Forcing Bella to calm down wouldn't be right. When she's ready to open up to me about her feelings she will.

...

I wasn't interested in the movie, I just wanted to talk to Bella. Sometimes I wondered if this care I had for her would be the death of me. Sometimes I thought, maybe I should stop caring for her. But how could I leave her now? If there was ever a time to be her friend it was now.

Why would Edward leave though? Didn't he love Bella? You can't just leave someone you love, right? Bella didn't deserve it either way. I wonder, if he knew that Bella was in this much pain, would he come back?

My thoughts left me as I saw the credits roll down the screen. I looked at Bella. She wasn't even looking at the screen.

Lost. Bella felt lost.