~ THIRTY ONE ~

~~

~~

I wasn't even sure what to call her. She was my mother but, right now, it didn't feel like it.

"What are you doing here?" Anger rose in me, she thought she could just come back and act like everything was normal.

"Avery, I'm sorry for not saying anything sooner. It's just--"

I looked back at my dad, he looked shocked and overwhelmed but he was trying to hide it. My mother had no colored contacts in. She must've told him everything. Her golden brown eyes looked right at me, she was pleading.

"Why are you even here?" I asked. I just wanted answers at that point.

"I actually first came here about three days ago. I was trying to find the right time to talk to you. I kept worrying and not confronting you. Then earlier,  I had to do something. That wasn't meant to be the way I greeted you again but..." She shrugged her shoulders slightly.

I pursed my lips and held back tears. I loved my mother, and reuniting with her was emotional. It was also overwhelming, and there was so much to say and explain. I realized I had never thanked her, so I decided to then. Even though my mother leaving years ago angered and frustrated me, it was because of her that I was alive right now.

"Thank you." I let out silently. The tears, uncontrollablely, came out as well. It was a few tears but, they all had their own emotion.

"Avery..." My mother reached out hesitantly, at first. Then she stood to envelop me in a hug.

My arms didn't move. In fact, no part of my body moved. I was frozen with emotion. Yet, underneath all that emotion I could feel happiness. I knew it wasn't temporary, this happiness was completely real and pure. It was a rare happiness to have your mother's arms around you again.

...

For the time being, my mother was staying at a nearby hotel. She wanted to give my father and I some space. She was always considerate like that.

I had returned to school from my suspension. I wasn't exactly excited about it and nothing much had changed. The only thing that was different was Jasper. He was with me as much as he could be during the school day. It was like he was more lively when he was with me. Somehow, by that one kiss, we had grown closer. But we were still friends, and neither of us had intentions to go beyond that.

During our history class, Jasper had asked me if I was busy that weekend. Alice was having a graduation party.

Alice had never apologized for what she did; I never apologized either. Even with that tension between us, I said I would think about it. He also did try heavily to convince me to go. I didn't want to see Alice and I doubt she wants to see me. But the idea of going anyway never left my head.