~ TWENTY ONE ~

~~

~~

"Your friends just left." Aro said and walked to me. "Bella is a strong human. She will make a stronger immortal."

I tried to show no interest in their wellbeing but, it seemed as if Bella was still alive. That was my main concern. 

"What did you bring me here for?" I asked. 

"Don't be so quick to leave, Avery. We haven't seen each other in years." Aro chuckled. He grabbed my hand and closed his eyes. His eyes moved under his eyelids as he gathered information. "Ah, a love interest. Two, actually."

I tore my hand away from Aro. "Okay, you've seen enough."

"He'll be quite disappointed when he finds out." Aro kept on. 

I grew impatient. I didn't need his advice, I just wanted to leave. "Why am I here, Aro?"

"Well," He went back to his seat. "I'm impressed with your ability to get so close to the Cullens, very close apparently, but there's something else. Some suspicious activity is happening in Seattle. Word of newborns there has been quite frequent. We are worried that they will grow too fast in numbers. Jane and a few others will be there soon and you will report directly to them. I have a feeling that Alice girl will be watching me quite heavily. Jane will inform you more."

A kid had gone missing in Seattle not too long ago. It may have something to do with this.  

"Alright." I answered. 

"Your graduation is arriving soon so this may be your last assignment." Aro said, it was unexpected. But, he was right.

I couldn't believe that soon I would be done with all of this. I could make my own real choices after I was disconnected from the Volturi. My life could be my own again. A smile crept onto my face. I could leave Forks with Jacob if I wanted to. I could do anything. 

"It just may be." I said. 

Maybe was such a strong word. It was one of the few things left that still scared me. 

"Also, I know you've become close with Bella so you may not like this news but, we gave the Cullens the option of either killing her or making her immortal."

My heart sank. I felt like hitting and breaking everything in sight. Aro didn't say it but, that was an ultimatum. If the Cullens didn't do it, the Volturi would and they would most likely make her a part of them. The Cullens didn't do anything but destroy and damage everything they touched, including me.

"I assumed that would happen." I answered.

It was always in the back of my mind that this would happen. Bella knew too much and the Volturi were rarely kind to humans.

"If they do not change her soon, as they promised, you will need to kill her." I could hear the excited undertone in Aro's voice.

He would love to see me kill my closest friend. Watching others suffer was his favorite type of entertainment. I was no exception to that.