~ TWENTY SIX ~

~~

~~

It was early in the morning. The moon was covered by clouds so, it was almost pitch black outside. There was a single lamp on in my room. It created just enough light for me to see how low Jacob's head hung in shame as he entered through my window.

"I can understand why you got angry but, I could've explained everything." I said. "There was no need to go after him."

"I was angry at Jasper before what happened."

"But I had to go out there. To help you. Even though I knew what you were doing was stupid, I went."

Jacob's eyes then met mine. "Are you sure you went there to help me?"

I knew where this was heading. Jacob always had a problem with jealousy and all the events that happened tonight only escalated things. I tried to avoid helping Jacob in making any false conclusions.

"Jacob, of course, I went to help you."

"It's just--you're with him all the time. You're out here putting yourself in danger for him."

"And you think this broken nose was for him?"

"No," Jacob, for some unknown reason, sounded defeated. "No, I don't."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing's wrong," Jacob must've noticed something that upset him but, I had no idea what it could be. "I think I'm just going to leave."

"Why? Talk to me, Jacob." I reached out for his hand and he gently wrapped his fingers around my palm. Jacob turned to say something but decided against it. A moment later he opened his mouth again.

"I'm just too overprotective...maybe I should try and tone it down." Jacob chuckled but, it wasn't sincere, not in the slightest. He wanted to say something but he wouldn't, and that just made things worse. If Jacob didn't want to tell me something then, it must be bad, right?

"It means you care," I comforted Jacob. "And that means the whole world to me."

"Oh," He exhaled with a small smile. Something was definitely on his mind. "It's getting late, I should probably go."

"Alright."

Jacob leaned in to kiss me on the forehead and he lingered for a few seconds. There so was so much passion in it and it wasn't even on my lips.

"You should see someone about your nose though. It looks painful." It was like Jacob to make a joke like that but, it still wasn't completely him.

"Yeah," I said with a breathy laugh. "The pain isn't too bad anymore, though."

Jacob gave me one last smile and went on his way.

I waited a few seconds before doing anything. I didn't want Jacob to think something was wrong if I began to rush.