Prologue

Your P.O.V

"(Y/N)!" My mistress yelled, startling me from subconsciousness.

I catapulted off of my twin bed and fell to the floor, narrowly missing my desk chair, and tripped over the blanket in an attempt to stand back up.

"You have five minutes! No more, no less!" She thundered, her voice as soothing and calm as a hurricane, before her booming footsteps stormed down the hall.

I stuck my tongue out towards the door and reached for my nightstand. My hand felt around the wooden surface for a moment, then wrapped around the black lenses of my glasses and placing them back on my head.

Just when I thought I could fall back asleep, I remembered my five minute warning. This effectively got me off the floor.

In a rush, I threw my blanket on the bed in a tangled pile, and began gathering my clothes for the day. When I had my uniform laid out on the mattress, I changed direction and darted to the bathroom.

The water was gross and specks of dirt splattered on my sink, but I had no time to grimace as I ran my toothbrush under the flow and began brushing my teeth. My hair was a tangled mess, but I figured bad breath was worse than bad hair.

The second I felt I had adequately brushed my teeth, I spat the minty goop from my mouth and rushed to my bed where my uniform laid. It was wrinkly and there was a flour stain on the right side of the skirt. But I just rolled my eyes and threw it on my body, completely giving up. After shoving my shoes on and patting my hair down, I ran to the mirror.

I didn't look like a princess, but I also didn't look like I had just walked in from the streets. So I looked better than usual.

I rushed into the assembly room, and silently crept to the back, ignoring stares targeting the back of my neck and the snickers that followed my arrival.

My mistress raised a brow at me, but didn't say anything seeing as how I arrived on time. She just gave me a half second of her attention before ignoring me, like I was a piece of a moldy apple she just needed to scrape off and be done with.

With that boost of self confidence, I melted into the background and listened absentmindedly as the weekly chores were announced.

They were your standard house duties, dusting, mopping, polishing, cleaning, cooking, other things like that. Most girls were paired off, some even in groups of three for the extra hard chores. But there was always one person without help, all alone to do their chores. And I knew well that I was that person, and I was always going to be that person.

"And we have an odd one out, (Y/N)." She said, not surprising me, and I looked up from the floor. "You're on garden duty." She decided, ignoring the snickers her comment sparked.

She gave a few more words of advice, an announcement about how the training grounds were closed for guard training so we were advised to stay away to avoid punishment, and something else I paid no attention to.

I only reacted when she announced that we were to start our tasks right away. As other girls rushed for the kitchens or the laundry room, I hurried over to the supply closet in a far away hallway.

The garden supplies were tucked in a dark corner, and I grabbed them, ignoring the dust entering my lungs and eyes. By the time I made it outside, the sun had fully risen over the horizon, and the earth was bathing in its warm early morning glow. The garden looked well taken care of with bush sculptures of birds and massive flowers, but the pathways were covered in leaves and branches. Not to mention the mushrooms growing in the courtyard and the obvious lack of attention towards mold removal on the fountain.