Chapter 17

Your P.O.V

Today is the day that Riva comes back, and while Peony is calmly waiting by the palace gates with me, Clary is standing on her toes and jumping around like an idiot.

"I'm so excited! It's been an entire month since we saw Riva! I can't wait to see her again! How much do you think she's changed?!" She asked us, expecting an answer. Thankfully, Peony did it for me. "Enough as can be expected in a month."

Clary nodded. "That makes sense... Oh I can't wait!" She kept blabbering nonsense like that until the carriages came into view, which took fifteen minutes of this girl spouting gibberish and making me want to stab my eardrums.

I love you Clary but sometimes you just need to shut up.

As they passed by and apprentices walked out, about seventy percent of them were crying and left the castle.

They probably failed.

I felt a pang of pity for them, but then panicked as I thought about Riva.

Did she make it?

Riva's carriage was made of wood, just like every other one, but the horses were both white instead of brown or black, and gold encrusted the edges of the chassis.

We stared at in bewilderment until she stepped out.

Instead of being her usual uniform, she wore a black jacket that was rolled up to her elbows and a gray tank top underneath, as well as blue shorts and new brown boots, and, to my relief, a traditional witches hat that signified she was officially a witch's apprentice.

I was about to ask why she had such a fancy carriage when Mistress Rosetta herself stepped out from behind her.

Her hair was cut to the size of a boys so it wouldn't get caught in a potion or get in her way, but she was undeniably beautiful despite that. Her hair was midnight black and her eyes were a beautiful green that were so bright that if they were compared to the color of grass, they would win. She had the traditional witches hat and her outfit was just a short dress with no sleeves and boots that went to half of her knee.

We all panicked and bowed while she walked by. She only pat Riva's back and whispered something in her ear.

Riva smiled and nodded as Mistress Rosetta walked into the castle, not giving us a glance.

Our eyes widened and we stared at Riva, our mouths agape, and Clary was the first to snap out of it before launching herself at Riva and wrapping her arms around her neck. This was expected, but not when the force of Clary was too much and they both hit the ground.

Riva seemed dazed as Clary mumbled incoherent words and hugged the crap out of Riva.

When the apprentice got her bearings, she chuckled and hugged her blonde friend around the waist.

"Hey Clary..." she mumbled as Clary buried her face in Riva's short hair.

Clary pulled away and looked down at Riva before hugging her again. "You're just as cute as you were before you left!" She exclaimed, and Riva's cheeks turned a vibrant shade of red while I tried to convince a nearby guard that Clary wasn't trying to kill Riva and he didn't need to get involved.

He eventually nodded before leaving and Clary finally allowed Riva to breathe.

As Peony and I sweat dropped at Clary's exuberance, they both walked towards us, and Peony and I gently hugged her small frame.

What made me laugh was when Riva had to readjust her hat because it was too big for her, and Clary chuckled. "You're adorable!" She exclaimed and held her own cheeks in a dreamy state.