Chapter 18

Your P.O.V

"Are you kidding me?!" Clary exclaimed as her eyes glistened with over dramatic tears.

"First, Riva leaves for a whole month, and the day after she comes back, you're telling me you get to leave for Tu'la tomorrow?!" She exclaimed and finally smacked her head down on the table, so hard that I anticipated blood to start pouring out of her skull.

But thankfully, it didn't.

Peony sighed and rubbed Clary's back before looking up at me. "I wish you good fortune as you embark on your journey." She said with a straight face, and I smiled.

"Thanks Peony." I replied, and Riva smiled.

"So, you get to spend the whole thing with Zane, right?" She asked, and just like last time, I started choking on my food.

When I finally stopped hacking up my organs, I stared at Riva as if she had grown a second head.

"What does that have to do with anything?!" I asked in a whisper, and she chuckled.

"Oh come on (Y/N)! Do you like the guy or not?" Clary asked as she stopped fake crying.

"No!" I exclaimed, my face red, from annoyance or embarrassment, I didn't know.

"Your face says all I need to know." Clary concluded, and I sighed in exasperation.

"Believe what you want to believe." I grumbled and Clary smirked.

"Oh I will..." she muttered and stared at me with a weird glint in her eyes, making me want to shrink back.

Peony got wide eyed and shook her head. "Clary, we don't need to go that far-" she was abruptly cut off as Clary got up and ran around the table towards me before sitting beside me.

She placed a finger on my neck and asked me a question.

"What do you think of Zane?" She asked, and my face reddened. "What are you-" she cut me off with a 'hah!'.

"Her heart rate increased! She fell into the valley of love and she fell hard!" Clary finished, and I practically felt my soul leave my body in embarrassment.

Riva tapped my shoulder as if to bring me back to reality as I stared off into the distance, my mind in a dreamy state.

Clary smiled and walked around the table before sitting next to Peony again, and I eventually set my head on the table.

How come every time I hear about him, my heart rate increases, and my face heats up? Why do I feel so warm and bubbly when I'm near him? Is Clary right? Do I like him as more than a friend?

Zane's face filled my vision as I thought about him, and I blushed.

No I can't think like that! Besides, even if he did like me it's not like that's ever gonna happen! He's the lord's son, I'm just some maid who he happens to like a little more than the others.

My face wouldn't tone down its red color, not even after Miss. Hollins rung the bell, telling everyone to throw away their food and get back to work, and not after she got to Zane's study.

Because the realization had hit me, like a brick to the face.

I like Zane as a lot more than a friend...

-+~•~+-

After hours of telling myself that having intimate feelings for him was ridiculous, I eventually started to believe the voices in my head as I laid down on my bed.