Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen (Nick's POV)

School ended only an hour after my fight with Oliver, but it felt like years.

As soon as the bell rang, I was bolting out to my mom's car after Ethan informed me he received a detention for breaking Carter's nose. He was also going to receive a visit from his probation officer, which would take hours, so he told me to go on ahead.

I gladly hopped into my mom's car car, gunning the engine as I pulled out of the parking lot, ignoring the dirty looks people shot me. They'd been shooting them at me all day, but they didn't say anything. They wouldn't dare threaten me or hurt me. Not only would I win them their damned homecoming game, but Ethan and I would be on them like a couple of rabid dogs.

Of course, now, my only concern was Oliver.

I had to go after him.

I had to apologize. Something, anything! Maybe if I took him to meet my mother and confessed there... Would that work? How the hell was I supposed to make Oliver see that I loved him? Buy him a house? Buy him a new computer? Read his stories? Kidnap him? I couldn't think of anything that would be an acceptable apology for what I'd done.

I was so cruel, so unfair, so selfish.

I should've known that Oliver wouldn't be facing our school alone. I would be there to hold his hand and walk through Hell with him. And despite everything Ethan said, I knew he'd be there to back us up.

My God, I had to apologize. I had to let Oliver know that I loved him and I didn't care whether everyone knew. I'd shout it, scream it, wear a fucking shirt that said "I love Oliver Patterson!"

I rounded the corner onto Oliver's road, slowing down as large puddles glittered in the light of the lightening strikes and my headlights. Rain poured down heavily so I had to turn my windshield wipers up, but I slowed down even more when I saw a car in the ditch.

A black car, its front end crushed up against the tree, half the car submerged in the thick, muddy water of the swamp.

A Mercedes.

My whole world instantly stopped turning, my heart stopped beating and I felt so strange. Numb.

Please don't tell me that's his car.

As I drifted closer, I realized that I recognized the license plate and a surge of panic struck me then. I hit the brakes and got out without turning the car off. Tire tracks were dug deep into the grass, vanishing once it hit the water.

I felt like I was frozen in place, staring down at the car as the rain struck down on me heavily, but I ignored it, wiping my hair out of my face, slicking it back as I struggled to get down the hill without falling headfirst. The entire time, my heart was thrashing to get out, my breath caught in my throat.

I didn't trust myself not to cry.

I wanted to prepare for the worst, but I couldn't. I didn't want to. This couldn't be Oliver's Mercedes. Tons of people had Mercedes, right? Tons of rich people. Tons of rich people with gay parents.

Shit.

I stumbled down into the swamp, the cold water splashing up to my waist as I jumped in, grimacing at the green gunk that clung to my clothes dead branches on the tree the car was crunched into hanging down into my face. I shoved them aside and went to the door, giving it a harsh tug.

The water against the door made it difficult, but I finally managed to tear the door open, water sloshing on both sides when I realized that the car was flooded too. Inside, Oliver was in the driver's seat, his pretty blonde hair stained with blood from a gash near his forehead. The same blood that was smeared on the windshield, which was slightly cracked.