Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Nick's POV)

I hated hospitals. Always have, always will.

They were too sterile, too white, too depressing, too creepy. I didn't want Oliver to be in a place like this, I wanted him to be somewhere safer. And somewhere away from the booming thunder, although, said thunder was already subsiding. Thank God.

The medics rushed Oliver into the emergency care unit and Rick had called Devin and the girls. I just sat in my seat stiffly. I knew I should call my mother, but I couldn't bring myself to. Knowing her, she'd be questioning me like something out of CSI: Miami. I felt ill at the thought, covering my mouth with my hand as I slumped back, squeezing my eyes shut until I felt a shadow fall over me.

Here it comes.

Goodbye, world.

I peered up at Rick, who was standing over me, looking exhausted, but still stern and fatherly. I was surprised someone as rude and intimidating as him could appear fatherly, but I stood up too as he stepped back, studying me.

"Okay," Rick said at last, folding his arms over his chest, "Let's start at the part where you said you hurt my son. And just so you know, the hospital won't be able to get you into the emergency room fast enough when I'm through with you."

"Mr. Patterson, I swear. I didn't... I didn't mean to."

"That's fucking bullshit. Quit being a damn coward and spew it before I spew your intestines on this shiny clean floor."

"Stop threatening me and maybe I'd get a word out without wanting to piss myself! No wonder Oliver's always freaked out about talking to you about his personal life!" I snapped suddenly, then went still as Rick's icy blue eyes flickered with something I didn't recognize. I just assumed it was murderous intent. After he said surprisingly nothing, I went on.

"We've been trying to keep it a secret from everyone. I mean everything. I used to pick on Oliver, all the time. I did it because I liked him, but I didn't want to like him. He's a guy! I'm a guy! My mother is going to gut me like a fish when she finds out that after all her failed match making attempts with girls, come to find out that I have the hots for another guy! And when Oliver told me he liked me back after I confessed, I thought everything would be better, but it just got worse. We couldn't tell anyone, and we were gonna hide it from you too! Oliver was afraid you'd hate him, hate me, and not let us be together, so of course he tried to keep it from you!"

"But then today it went too far. We were trying to hide it, but obviously it wasn't as easy as we thought it was. These guys on the football team found out and they were beating up on him and I wanted to do something, but I ended up getting so mad that I hit Oliver instead. I know I shouldn't have, I know I should've just taken Oliver out of there, but I couldn't help it! I have a shitty temper! It's not my fault! I mean, that's what I keep telling myself, but then when I think about what just..." I couldn't finish.

I stopped myself before I made the mistake of crying in front of him again. I held my breath, trying to click my emotions back into place as I watched Rick stare at me for a while.

"You hit him."

Shit. I probably should've left that part out.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"Uhm... Eighteen."

"Oh, good."

I should've expected this next part.

Rick's fist slammed into my jaw, knocking me back so I fell into the chair, wincing as pain exploded in my head, my jaw throbbing with pain. I reached up, my cold wet fingers touching the tender wound. I didn't protest or anything, because I knew I deserved it. I deserved so much more than a punch, though.