Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Oliver's POV)

A lot has happened to me in just a week.

The guy who's been bullying me since I was in 6th grade, ended up confessing to me, so I thought... Why not? He should I know love him too. Then, we had to deal with my parents finding out, then the whole school. Of course, we had a few slumps, but what couples don't? Okay, yea, my slump happened to literally slump into the swamp with my car.

That hurt. Everything that happened at that point was fuzzy. I was thankful for it too because I didn't want to remember the way Nick looked when he came into the emergency room to tell me goodbye. I surprised myself by how terrified I was when he said all those things. I tried to get up, but my whole body ached and hurt. Even though I cried, it wasn't the pain of the accident making it so. It was Nick's back when he left the emergency room.

I had looked to Ethan for help and he surprised me by giving me sad stare before he rushed after Nick. I swore that was the last time I'd see him and I tried to go after him, but the world was one big Tea Cup ride and I almost fell, only to have Nick catch me.

The greatest thing in the world was to see him there, promising he wouldn't leave, apologizing for scaring me.

Damn right he should be apologizing. He scared the living hell out of me and he was going to spend the rest of his life making it up to me.

Like he was doing right now.

A loud horn blasted through the cool autumn air, echoing across the football field where Nick, Ethan, and several other players had just made a touchdown. Everyone around me leapt to their feet, screaming and cheering at the tops of their lungs.

I wanted to jump up too, but my body was still sore and achy. Better than it was a week ago, but I couldn't do anything rough. Instead, I managed to get up and push past the crowd toward the fence that outlined the football field to meet up with Nick, who was busy getting smacks on the back and whoops from his teammates.

Just a couple of days ago, everyone in the school avoided him. They ignored him and they ignored me, pretended we were just sick people. Now, it seemed like all of that was forgotten as everyone cheered.

I smiled when Nick craned his neck to look at me, his helmet dropping to the ground. He quickly waded through his teammates, racing over to me. He went past the gates just a couple feet away, making me look at him in surprise before he caught me off guard by picking me up in his arms.

"Whoa!" I gasped. What was he doing? Everyone was watching. They'd probably boo him after showing me affection in public, but he didn't seem to care as he grinned up at me, letting me down so he could kiss me.

It would've been so much more romantic if he wasn't already out of breath, sweaty, and covered in dirt and grass stains. At least, that's how it would have been to others. To me, Nick looked perfect.

"You won." I stated, smirking as he stepped back to take a breather.

"Yea! Seriously! Did you see that? I feel like I'm going to pass out!" Nick exclaimed, panting.

"Well, don't waste your breath here. Your teammates are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because their captain is gone."

"Fine," Nick sighed reluctantly, then smirked at me as he leaned in to my ear, "But, after the game tonight, you're all mine, got it?"

"Got it." I agreed, mirroring his smug look before he ran off to the field again. I was surprised that people didn't seem to care about his break to come to me. In fact, they were cheering louder now, practically causing an earthquake.