Not While I'm Around

Queenie's POV

I went into work when Tina hadn't returned home after she was out looking for Newt and Jacob. But, I couldn't leave Jeanne home alone so naturally, she came with me.

To get to the MACUSA building we had to walk a few blocks. But Jeanne's perculiarity would surely get us in trouble with the No-Majes.

So, I grabbed one of my biggest coats and battened down her black wings, zipping the coat up tight. She wobbled as soon as her wings were restrained. Jeanne couldn't go walking into MACUSA looking like she'd had too much Bubble-Juice without us getting stopped.

I gave her crutches to balance with. If anyone asks about Jeanne, I'll just say . . . That she's recovering from . . . A crutiaus curse incident? I don't know! I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I told Jeanne to just stay quiet and not to let anyone in on her accent or wings.

~~~

I was making a coffee run with Jeanne close behind me. She was really hobbling fast on those crutches. Suddenly I stopped. The coffee tray fell from my hands and spilled onto the floor, earning strange looks from other wizards.

"What?" Jeanne asked anxiously.

"Tina's in trouble!" And with that I ran towards where my sister was mentally telling me she was.

Newt's POV

Tina and I were forced into the room by executioners. A guard stood at the door.

"Don't to this," Tina protested. "Bernadette, please!"

"It don't hurt," said Bernadette. She lead Tina to the edge of a pool. Tina panicked, her breathing becoming heavy.

Smiling oddly, the executioner raised her wand annd pulled a strand of happy memories from Tina's head. Her face went blank and emotionless.

The executioner cast the memories into the pool which rippled and began to show scenes from Tina's life. Tina was lead into a chair at the edge of the pool.

I felt Pickett beginning to pick my handcuffs.

 I could only watch as the chair Tina sat in slowly raised up above the dark pool

The executioner walked over to me. "Ok, let's get the good stuff out of—" The door behind me burst open.

Queenie and Jacob stood behind the fallen door as did Jeanne, with her wings spread out so far, the tips of her dark feathers brushed the corners of the room.

I marveled at her. She was . . . Extraordinary.

In a flash, Jeanne had knocked all the executioners unconscious with talon-like claws on the bend of her wings. Just as quickly as the claws appeared, they were gone.

With all the commotion, Tina had snapped out of her trance on the chair and began panicking. "Mr. Scamander!" she yelled. The liquid around her slowly began to turn black and bubble. It rose up around Tina's chair, threatening to engulf her.

"Don't panic!" I yelled.

"Well, what do you suggest I do instead?!" she yelled.

"Uh . . . Jeanne!" I said quickly.

"What?" Jeanne asked, frightened.

"Can you fly?" I asked, grabbing her by the shoulders.

"Wha—I mean I haven't tried since, I mean but I could—" she started frantically.

I pulled her into a tight hug. For a second, I could tell she didn't know what to do. Jeanne slowly put her arms to rest on my back. "I believe in you, Jeanne," I whispered. "Ok, no time for hugs!" I spun her around, only to get a face full of feathers.

Jeanne backed up the the end of the room like she was going to get a running start

Jeanne backed up the the end of the room like she was going to get a running start. Suddenly, without even so much as a step forward, she took off with on flap of her dark wings. A gust of wind blew my hair into my face.

Jeanne hovered above Tina's chair. "C'mon!" she urged. Jeanne reached her arms down to grab Tina from the chair. I could see the struggle in Jeanne's face as she tried to lift Tina. Her wings flapped with more struggle. Finally, Jeanne dropped Tina away from the pool. Exhausted, she fell herself.

I ran, my arms outstretched to catch her before she could hit the pool. I caught her, thank Merlin, narrowly missing the dark liquid.

"You're okay," I chided. Jeanne stared up at me with her big, magnificent eyes. I looked down at her with a smile.

"Nothing's going to hurt you

"Nothing's going to hurt you . . . Not while I'm around."