Chaos

Newt's POV

We stood on top of the department store, contemplating what to do next.

Down below, a black cloud swirled around, causing panic on the streets. Cars were sent flying, pavement exploded into chucks, buildings were demolished. We could only watch as the event unfolded.

"Jeez . . . Jacob commented. "Is that the Obscurus thing?"

The sounds of sirens below grew louder. I stared, trying to comprehend the scale of destruction.

"That's more powerful than any Obscurial I have ever heard of . . ." I said. The city below was beginning to go up in flames. I had to help.

I thrust my case into Jeanne's arms. I then took my journal from my pocket. "If I don't come back, look after my creatures. Everything you need to know is in here." I handed her the journal, barely able to make eye contact.

"What?" she asked worriedly.

I jumped off the roof. Just before I Disapparated, I heard Jeanne scream. She screamed my name . . . and it broke my heart.

Jeanne's POV

I took the case and shoved it into Tina's arms. "You heard him! Look after them!" I jumped off the roof, Disapparating as well.

I was down on the brick street. Everything seemed to be on fire. "Newt!" I called, spotting him amidst the chaos. He turned around, confused.

"Jeanne! It's the Second Salem boy, Credence

"Jeanne! It's the Second Salem boy, Credence. He's the Obscurial," explained Newt. We crouched behind a burning car. "His power must be so strong if he's managed to survive. It's incredible."

"We have to help him . . ." I said. "I have an idea." I stood up, ready to fly, but Newt pulled me back down.

"No, Jeanne . . . I don't want to lose you, not ever," Newt said, obviously distraught over the idea.

I hugged him, wings and all. "I don't want to lose you, Newt" I said. I gazed into his worried green eyes. "I love you . . ."

It was barely a whisper but Newt understood and pulled me closer. "I love you too," he whispered.

"Really?"

"Really, really," he said. I placed a small kiss on his lips then took off after Credence.

I switched between Apparating and flying between rooftops. Aurors were already on the scene, firing spells towards the front of the Obscurial. It reared upwards, as white spells were fired at all angles. "No!" I screamed.

The Obscurial came crashing down onto the street below, a black tsunami destroying everything in its path.

Suddenly it stopped

Suddenly it stopped. The Obscurial rested at the underground subway entrance. The black mass shrunk down into the small figure of Credence. He descended down the steps and into the subway.

I Apparted there quickly, following cautiously.

Newt's POV

Aurors began creating a magical force field around the stairs to the subway.

"Bar the area. I don't want anyone else down there!" a man—Graves states.

As the magical field was almost complete, I rolled underneath, dashing unseen into the subway

I spotted Jeanne, trying to calmly reason with Credence, or the black swirling cloud that was him.

She hid behind the pillar as she talked. "Credence . . . It's Credence, isn't it? Remember me? I'm here to help you, Credence, not to hurt you," she said calmly. Jeanne moved out from behind the pillar and stepped onto the train tracks. She crouched on the floor, black wings curled around her.

"Credence, can I come over to you, please?" she asked. As Jeanne took a step forward, Graves revealed himself, firing a spell and knocking her to the ground. Graves lumbered over her. She fired spells back, but Graves easily deflected them. I stepped out from behind the pillar, firing a stunning spell at Graves.

Graves turned away from Jeanne, now his anger on me. But, he did not fire any spells. Instead he turned back to Jeanne, almost intrigued. I watched, anticipating his next move.

Graves stood on the platform, continuing to fire spells at Jeanne. She was protecting Credence.

Soon, the black mass became a boy again. Jeanne seemed to be winning. Finally, almost bored with her efforts, Graves cast a spell sending electricity rippling down the train tracks, hitting Jeanne, throwing her high into the air. She hit the ground hard, Graves continuing to fire spells at her.

I ran behind him casting spells, trying to get him to stop

I ran behind him casting spells, trying to get him to stop. But, somehow Graves deflected my spells all while firing at Jeanne. I hate to say it, but it was an amazing display.

Jeanne writhed on the ground in pain, unable to stop him.

Credence began to shake angrily. The Obscurial sprung from his body, rising up around him.

As Jeanne cried out in pain, the mass blasted down the tunnel towards Graves.

I ran for cover, dragging Jeanne along with me, behind a pillar.

Though her magnificent eyes were open and looking up at me, she wasn't moving.