Chapter 9 ~ Culpae Poenae Par Esto

"Come on Kyle, you can do it!"

"I wouldn't be too sure about this!"

"It's just another round of burpees, you won't die from it."

"Jill, let me just tell you how much burpees are hell!"

The woman laughed and watched Kyle fall flat on his face. He growled loudly before he tried to stand back up but failed miserably. He decided that rolling on his back would be a good idea. The young man was sweating and panting and before he could even ask for one, a bottle of water landed heavily on his chest. Kyle looked on the side and saw Red Hood's boots right next to him. "I told you, you need training."

"This is not training. This is torture."

Jill laughed again. "Get up," Hood sighed.

"No, let me die here."

"Alright then. You are really setting a good example for a second-in-command. Jill?"

"Yes sir?" she replied.

"Is there still a free ring behind you?"

"Oh come on, Hood," Kyle whined.

"Yes sir, one ring is free."

"Excellent." Hood removed his leather jacket and laid it on a small bench. He also removed his gauntlet only to wrap his hands in a pair of white handwraps. "Now get up, that's an order."

Kyle muttered under his breath but got up as best as he could, his arms and legs on fire. Hood handed him another pair of handwraps that the young man slowly wrapped around his hands. Once ready, he climbed on the ring where Red Hood was already waiting for him. "Are we really gonna fight?"

"Yes."

"The match is unfair, I've been working out for an hour and a half."

"Life is unfair. Would you say this to your enemy if he showed up right in front of you? You have to be ready for everything because it doesn't matter if you are tired or not, your enemy will attack you with only one thing in the head: killing you. So suck it up, Barnes, because they'd be pitiless."

Kyle straightened up and stretched his back slightly. He noticed Hood adopting a fighting stance in front of him from the corner of his eyes. The young man lunged at Hood, his fists forward. Jason swiftly blocked the attack, grabbed one of Kyle's arms and sent him flying into the ring's cords. Kyle growled loudly as he fell on his butt. However, he reacted quickly enough to duck Jason's fists. He rolled forward and got back up just behind Hood. He spun his right leg, wishing to trip him up but Jason jumped over it. The latter was now facing Kyle and close enough to side whip kick him in the side. The young man yelped out in pain.

"Don't wait for the blow to happen, Kyle. Have you forgotten everything I taught you?"

"Oh no," he smirked, "I didn't." Swiftly, Kyle grabbed Jason's arm. He spun it and pinned it behind his back. Now standing behind the man, Kyle kicked his knee and forced him to kneel. With a proud smile, Kyle leaned forward. "Don't ever let your guard down was one of the first thing you told me," he whispered.

"Well played," Hood admitted. Kyle outstretched his hand and helped Jason up. From the other side, Jill, who had been watching the whole match as well as a small group of henchmen, had an amused smile on her lips. She handed Kyle his bottle of water and looked at Hood who simply shook his head. Underneath his helmet, Jason was smiling as well. His phone started to vibrate in his pocket so he excused himself and headed to his own office to pick up the call.

"That was well done," Jill told Kyle while he sat on the same bench Hood had left his leather jacket on. She sat down next to him and noticed the group of men that had been observing the match between Kyle and Hood headed to the elevator to meet the rest of the gang at the level below.