Chapter 18 ~ Collapse

A/N: In this chapter you will briefly be introduced to a character called Debbie. She is going to play an important part in this story (or another one who knows?) later but if you want to know more about the little girl and who she is, you can head over to Deadpool_Red's account here on Wattpad. She wrote Debbie's story and is currently writing the second book about her.

I also took notes that some of you wanted to see more interaction between Alice and Tim and this shall come soon c:

***********

The last time Roy Harper had come to Gotham to answer Jason's call for help, it had been right during the time of the gangs war. Of course, he had made sure to make a grand entrance. Stopping a runaway's car by shooting an arrow in one of the tires and from a great distance. Roy had been pretty proud of his shot. Who wouldn't after all? The fugitive had been stopped by both Kyle and Jason, the latter making sure to put a permanent end to his escape.

"You were going to name that dude your second-in-command?" Roy had asked once all of it was over. Jason had snorted and just shook his head before he did the only thing he was good at: isolating himself from everyone. Away from his family, away from Roy, until one day Jason came back. Roy couldn't hold a grudge against him, it was in Jason's nature to act this way. But he had been left weeks with seeing his best friend again.

During that time, Jason had taken a few resolutions concerning his gang. He monitored them more closely, trained them more efficiently in case they had to face another threat similar to the one they had faced. Jason still hadn't found his second-in-command and Roy was pretty sure he was taking his time to not make the same mistake again. Roy had been spending a lot of time with him again then and he had learned to know some of the gang members to try to help Jason take his decision. He liked that woman who had asked he trained her himself and another guy who preferred to shoot first, talk after.

Jason thought the guy wouldn't be a good idea "I need a diplomat Roy, not someone who would shoot his own shadow because it looked him weird somehow". So he had asked the woman. She had nicely declined the offer, claiming she liked her current position best.

So Roy did what Roy does best, he suggested another option to Jason. He told him there was someone who could fit the job's description. Of course, he had left the gang at that moment but Roy was sure that with a little convincing, Kyle would come back. 

He did. 

Jason had personally gone to New York to seek him out and make his offer. At first he promised it wouldn't be permanent, if he didn't like the position he could back away and it was kind of like a trial period for a regular job. Roy thought the kid did pretty good and was happy to see Jason get out of his broody phase once more. Jason and Kyle were a dynamic duo. They were almost the same age, though Kyle was a year younger, but he was always willing to help.

But when Jason called him the night before, asking if they could sit somewhere and talk, Roy understood something wasn't right.

So Roy had accepted and was now waiting for his friend on top of a roof, sitting at the edge of their meeting point, Gotham alive under his dangling feet. They had fixed the rendez-vous at 10pm. It was  past 11pm and Jason still hadn't arrived. Roy didn't really mind though, he knew his friend was most likely going to be late so he had brought a bag of arrows which needed to be fixed with him.

He was about to work on his eleventh arrow when Jason finally showed up, a plastic bag in hands. Jason landed right next to him. "Sorry, I'm late" he said as he sat next to his friend.

Without looking up from what he was doing, Roy answered "Well, let's pretend you're very early for our next meeting."

Jason snorted. He removed his helmet and his domino mask, discarding them both on the roof. He closed his eyes and breathed in the fresh night air. Gotham was starting to get colder and Fall would soon be upon them.