Chapter 17 ~ Walk on the Wild Side

For Deadpool_Red  for being the best twin I could ever ask for <3

***           

*We are interrupting our programs with some last minute informations. Indeed, philanthropist Najma Raza has been arrested yesterday evening during one of her charity gala after it was discovered she was involved in terrorist activities. She's currently being interrogated by the police and will probably spend the rest of her life in prison*

***

Kyle wasn't sure he had ever felt that bad in his entire life. Of course, he had been hungover once. And it wasn't even his fault, he had been forced to drink for a stupid bet. Kyle was strongly against drinking and that was absolutely because of his alcoholic father who passed his nerves on him when he was young and beat him senseless until the man felt better. Kyle swore he would never do the same, and, at nineteen, he still preferred the company of a bottle of Coke than that of a glass of whiskey.

However, as he found himself at the back of the Batmobile, behind not only Batman but also Nightwing, it felt as if he was having the worst hungover of his life. Guilty was a small word to describe how he felt during that moment. It was his fault. All of it.

Jill.

Vassili.

The mission.

The young man rubbed his forehead. At least Jason had managed to find Jill just in time. She was injured, but nothing too alarming. After that, he hadn't had any news of Jason and he wasn't sure why the latter hadn't come to hunt down his ass and murder him himself.

"So, what do we do now?" Dick asked, his Nightwing suit still on, but his black domino mask in hand. He was also exhausted. He and Bruce had been interrogating Najma Raza the whole night until they handed her over to the Gotham's police like a wrapped package.

Kyle cleared his throat. "Vassili vanished before Jason got to the warehouse..."

"Oracle and I have been trying to get the CCTV footages of the perimeter around the warehouse your partner has been kidnapped in but we couldn't find anything," Tim added over his intercom, "Everything has been deleted carefully and methodologically."

"So we still have a terrorist on the run," Dick sighed. Silence answered him. "Shit."

"There has to be something we can track down. We just need to find it," Bruce declared, his tone dry. Once again, Kyle wondered how he wasn't dead already.

"I know it's late and you all probably want to call it a night, well a day seeing as the sun is already rising, but do you mind taking me to my place? I need to go to the headquarters and talk with Jason," Kyle asked lowly, trying hard to not speak too loud and set everybody more on edge than they already were.

Bruce sighed but took a sharp turn. Seven long minutes later, the Batmobile parked loudly in front of the apartment. Nobody seemed to care there could be people seeing them outside. As Kyle opened the door to go out, Bruce grabbed the edge of his jacket. "I want my Lamborghini back in my garage before 6 tonight. And it better not have a scratch."

Kyle gulped. "Yes, sir." Bruce released him and as soon as Kyle had closed the vehicle's door, made the tires squeal and zoomed away from the street. Kyle stood there, taking a deep breath, before he remembered what he had to do. "I'm so dead," he whispered to himself.

Walking into his apartment, he was greeted by a very happy Nala, the dog wagging her tail quickly. "Hey girl, you're coming with me today. Happy?" the black dog replied with her tongue stuck out, tail still wagging. Kyle petted her head gently. He walked to his bedroom and oh how much he wished he could collapse on his bed and sleep an entire week. But no, he had a job to do. And a pretty bad time ahead of him. He quickly grabbed one of his outfit. As second-in-command, he must always have a proper second-in-command-attire on and he always took pride in it. However, at that moment he almost cursed it while he put it on.