Chapter 16 ~ Only Human After All

Jill was woken up the next morning by the throbbing pain coming from her abdomen. She groaned, feeling both groggy and sleepy. She quickly checked if her stitches weren't popped or broken, lifting the sweatshirt over it delicately. Fortunately for her, they weren't. However, the flesh around them had swelled a little overnight. "Shit," she growled under her breath. She then let her head fall back on her pillow and let a deep sigh escape her body. After a few more instants, she carefully rolled on her side and looked at her alarm clock.

5:46am.

Knowing perfectly well she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, she sighed again and slowly managed to sit down on her mattress. Pounding pain rose from her injury once again. She groaned but decided to get up anyway because her throat felt as dry as the Sahara. She hobbled barefoot through her bedroom, helping herself to walk with the pieces of furniture around her at first until she managed to stand on her own. She opened her bedroom's door and padded through her living room. Her kitchen suddenly seemed so far as she the pain burst through her body like a wildfire. As she reached for her bookshelf to lean on, she heard something coming from her couch. Like a growl.

Someone was here.

Jill's first instinct was to grab the first thing she could find and that was the heaviest book she had in her bookshelf. The pain in her body had been replaced by adrenaline. She walked to the couch with catlike stealth and almost dropped the book on the floor. She recognized his jacket hanging on the armrest of the couch.

He was still here.

Red Hood was asleep on her couch.

Jill couldn't believe it at first so she went closer and noticed his red domino mask was lying on the floor. She couldn't help but observe the young man in front of her.

He was frowning in his sleep. Both his fists were curled into tight balls and his domino mask had fallen to the floor. Dark brown hair as well as his funny looking white strand were sticking on his forehead with the sweat that had developed itself on his skin. It saddened Jill to see him in such a state. His whole body was shaking and, as his frown deepened, his fists clenched themselves even more, causing his knuckles to turn a pale ghost white color. A grimace crossed his face once again. The man let out a loud groan. It wasn't an angry growl but it looked like he was feeling physical pain.

Jill decided it was enough. Not exactly sure about what she was supposed to do, she laid the book in her hands on the floor and softly put her palm on his shoulder. As gently as she could, she shook his shoulder until the man's eyes jerked open.

Jason could still hear the Joker's haunting cackle when he was woken up by a hand on his shoulder. The cackle still echoing in his head, he observed his surroundings. 'You're safe, you're safe' he repeated himself. His breathing was shaky. He looked almost terrified at the person above him. It took him a few seconds to recognize Jill. His heart was pounding adrenaline in his ears but he clearly heard her speak.

"I'm sorry, you were having a nightmare..." she said apologetically. Shocked, of course she was shocked, Jason thought. He closed his eyes and told himself he was fine, nothing would happen to him here. "Do you need anything?"

He blinked away the cackling and finally manage to reply, his throat dry. "Yes, yes I'm fine. I'm sorry if I woke you up." He sat back up and rubbed his eyes.

"No, you didn't wake me up. I... I had no idea you were still here actually," she tried to smile.

Jason looked at her and smiled back, "I uh wanted to make sure you didn't need anything during the night so I thought it'd be okay if I slept on your couch."