Chapter 10 ~ Two Birds, One Stone

Robin and Red Robin remained silent while they walked through the filthy sewers, their boots already covered with a dark green mud. Tim decided it would be better not to think about what could be into the water and kept on walking, Damian just next to him.

Both boys had managed to enter the sewers after they had called Bruce to inform him about the alarming situation by sliding into them via a barely large enough manhole right next to the Cloud Gate. Luckily, they were thin enough to slip through it because a man built like Dick wouldn't have been able to do it, even less Jason.

Damian had immediately complained about the disgusting smell that hit both the boys' nostrils but they had no other choice. So they pinched their noses and gave up after a few minutes, noticing that they were slowly getting used to the stench of the surprisingly thick stagnant water mixed with a probably large amount of rotting animals' corpses as well.

"I'd rather have to crawl through a hundred ventilation systems than walking through another sewer," Red grimaced.

Damian replied nothing but he mentally admitted that the ventilation systems would be much more pleasant than this. "So, what are we looking for now?"

"Something that could have held the gas in until it entered in contact with the air outside."

"Like a tin can?"

"Probably... Maybe bigger. Something airtight, that's for sure."

"Fantastic," Damian sighed, "it's not as if the sewers were a garbage dump after all."

Tim rolled his eyes under his cowl. "Fortunately for us, someone thought about taking a scanner. The young man took out of one of the numerous pouches of his utility belt a rather large measurement tool. It looked a bit old but Tim had spent a lot of time modifying it. The young man smirked, "And also fortunately for us, someone thought about including every single one of the chemical elements and products known by mankind, including the Sarinide, in its database." Damian raised an eyebrow and watching his brother manipulating some buttons on the scanner until he found what he needed.

"Is it one of Father's old scanner?"

"Was, but yes. He gave it to me when Lucius made him a new one. I had a lot of fun modifying this thing. Lucius made a good work with it, but I made a few upgrades."

Damian, an eyebrow still raised, looked at Tim. "So you can detect anything with this?"

"Yep."

"Hmm... Impressive," the boy whispered as he started to walk again.

"What did you just say?" Red asked, trying to hide a broad smirk.

"What?"

"What was that?"

"What was what? Get to the damn point."

"Was that a compliment I just heard?"

Robin rolled his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. "No."

"Don't deny it, I heard you. I probably should have recorded you." Red Robin was now grinning like the devil and saw how much it seemed to annoy his little brother. Robin growled. Tim kept grinning while he moved his scanner all around them, looking for any trace of the gas. He thought about the drug for a short instant, his smile fading away, and he remembered how glad he had been when Jason and Dick told him that they had managed to stop and destroy all of the drug trafficking. However, here they were, looking for a modified and even more dangerous version of it that could explode at any moment. A drug turned into a bomb...