Primary Plant Dragons

Plant dragons are the most adaptable and diverse of the Primal Races. Wherever there is life, you can find one of those dragons. Many resemble plant life, and a few might even be called such. All have a deep spiritual connection to nature and its creatures. Many can be found in forests and jungles all over the earth. They vary in size, coloration, and shape, as well as temperament and behavior. All save a few are omnivorous. Meat and plant matter are on the menu for these dragons. They are the friendliest of all dragons, and the smaller breeds make great pets.

Flower Dragons: Flower dragons are the tiniest of the primary plant dragons, reaching a maximum of only four feet long. Many of them are much smaller than that, about the size of, well, a flower. Flower dragons can be found on just about every flowering plant: roses, tulips, dandelions, orchids, lilies, and so on. Flower dragons can change the color of their scales to match any flower they sit on. Amazingly, so can their eyes, which is an indicator of mood. Flower dragons are slinky and thin, and several flower petal like flaps of skin surround their head, which they can lay flat or puff up. Their tails are also like a peacocks, able to fan out in an impressive display of color. These dragons have an even temperament, and don't get angered easy. Thus they are great around children, and these dragons love them to death. Flower dragons eat small insects as well as nectar and plant matter. They are one of the easiest breeds to train and tame. They cannot speak, but can communicate with chirps and purrs. However, if they do get angry, watch out! These dragons can produce a pollen that can make someone fall into a deep sleep, and their teeth are tiny but sharp. They can actually make their bite poisonous! Of course, it won't kill a man, but it will make him severely ill. Flower dragons can live up to seventy years in the wild, and much longer in captivity.

Forest Dragons: Forest dragons make their home in deciduous and conifer forests, far from civilization. They can grow up to twenty-five feet long and are depicted with either curling horns or an impressive rack of antlers. Forest dragons have moss green and dirty brown coloration, and sometimes cover themselves in moss and dirt to help camouflage and hide their scent from their prey. Within the forests they call home these dragons make lairs within a large tree, usually an oak. They are said to be able to live for thousands of years, so long as their forests are safe. If their home is threatened, forest dragons can use their control of plant and animal life to drive back intruders. A forest dragon's skin is tough like thick bark. In fact, quite a number of forest dragons are actually part plant. They can use sunlight to heal themselves when injured, and duplicate some plant's properties, such as thorns, vines, ect. Forest dragons do have wings, and technically they can fly, but they don't usually like to. They prefer to stay on the forest floor, close to their roots. Literally. Many forest dragons have lairs in the tangle of tree roots. Forest dragons are considered wise and gentle, and are more than happy to help a lost traveler find his way. They do possess the power of speech, and are more than willing to share the wisdom of the forest with all who will listen. These dragons cannot be tamed or trained, since they are more sentient than other dragons. However, the can be taught. Forest dragons love to learn anything they can, as knowledge is precious to them.

Canopy Dragons: Canopy dragons are close relatives to flower dragons, and are in fact similar to them in many ways, including size, their ability to change color, and diet. However, canopy dragons are found in rainforests and jungles rather than deciduous and conifer forests. Canopy dragons are unique in the fact that they are the only dragons with feathers. Their bodies are slim and vine like with bright green scales. But their wings are covered in brightly colored plumage. Like their scales, the feathers of a canopy dragon can change color at will. Canopy dragons love flying high over the rainforest, or else scampering along its branches and vines. They live in groups of up to two dozen, like monkeys. In fact, canopy dragons and monkeys are the most famous example of dragon and non-dragon animals working together. A group of monkeys and canopy dragons will usually stick together, the dragons scouting ahead for danger to the monkeys, and the monkeys picking out all the bugs and debris in the dragons' feathers. Some believe that monkey and dragon are "partnered" to each other and do various tasks that benefit each party. The dragon, with its sticky, whip like tongue, catches flies and other pesky insects that hover around the monkey. The monkey, in return, will sometimes collect food for the dragon, like fruits and leaves. But most of all, the offer each other companionship, making bonds for life. A similar relationship can develop between human and canopy dragon. Like monkeys, they're very clever and crafty, and love shiny objects.