Updates

This is may considered the end of the book, if you're that sort of person. But, in reality, it's far from it. This is the updates section, reserved for all newly discovered species of dragons yet to have been listed. As you know, there are hundreds of species of dragons, and we have only barely scratched the surface. That's why I count on you, fellow dragonoligists (for why else would you read this book if you were otherwise?) to find the unknown species of dragons, and report them here! All you have to do is comment at the beginning of this book if you have found another species, listing length, scale coloration, eating habits, habitat, what species of dragon it is (or else the hybrid of which species of dragon), lifespan, trainability, and other unique facts about it. Then, the dragon will be added to the book, where it will eventually become a rich resource for future dragonoligists.

Snow Dragon (Found Jan. 23rd, 2014 by @ _Ainow_): The snow dragon is a distant cousin of the primary water dragons, commonly found in the northern tundra and icecaps and even in Antarctica, making it an official native dragon species to the continent. Reaching up to twenty feet long, these dragons have blue-white scales and ice growing from their bodies. Like the name suggests, snow dragons have magical abilities that preside over ice and snow, able to summon frosty gales and conjure plumes of snow and ice. Legend has it they can make extraordinary ice castles and use them for lairs, as well as breathe life into golems of ice to use as guardians. Snow dragons eat large animals like polar bears and seals, as well as penguins (in Antarctica, naturally) and even baby orcas. They trap baby orcas by surrounding them in a sphere of ice, to eat off at leisure. Humans have rarely made contact with snow dragons, so training and taming is up for debate. However, they have been known to help out a lost soul on the ice and guide them to safety. Then again, there have been reports where snow dragons might very well eat the very people they save. Snow dragons can live for several centuries, but the recent melting of their habitats has put that assumed lifespan under question.   

Spirit Dragons (Rediscovered Jan. 31st, 2014 by @Little-Tina): The spirit dragons are the, well, spirits, of dragons long past, coming back to the world either by summoning or to do unfinished business. However, dragons are immortal; their bodies are just mortal, so some even reincarnate themselves as new hatchlings of their kind, or an entirely different species all together. Normally they are invisible to most, save for a select few dragonoligists. Those particularly skilled in magic can summon and control these spirits in search of knowledge or power. A few are born with a natural gift, but that hasn't occurred in millennia. Spirit dragons come in a variety of sizes and shapes, depending on the dragon. At one point, they were common all over the world. But, as time passed, they faded as technology and modernism overtook the world. However, slowly the spirit dragons are making a comeback. All are, in general, benevolent, save for when their master is malevolent.