Hybrids: Water and Air

Water and air dragons are very similar to each other in many ways, making them almost fated to breed with one another. In fact, one theory states that those elements are related to each other. All the elements are interconnected, in reality: four parts of the same whole. No matter what people think, it's true that water and air dragons go hand-in-hand, even more than water and earth dragons. Their hybrids are usually ethereal, mysterious, playful, and downright mischievous.

Mist Dragons: Mist dragons are the most common water-air hybrids, and are incredibly small for dragon species. In fact, they barely reach twice the size of a fairy. Yet, they love to gather in large numbers, up to the thousands, and they all emit mist. Plumes of mist that come out of nowhere are often the cause of mist dragons. Not to be confused with fog dragons, another water-air hybrid that lives by the sea. Mist dragons, because of their size, have tiny, butterfly-like wings that are actually quite beautiful. If you see one. Mist dragons are astoundingly quick, often moving too fast for the eye to register. What's strange is fairies actually use mist dragons as steeds, whenever they need go travel long distances. Mist dragons usually eat nectar and drink the dew found on grass on summer mornings and evenings. Mist dragons are one of the few dragons that mimic bird behavior and fly south for the winter to warmer climates. In earlier times, mist dragons were the stuff of myths, as they were unseen and studied. However, mist dragons love children and will often approach and play with them, especially small children. This is mainly due to the fact that their fairy masters love children as well. Mist dragons, in the wild, live for only twenty-five years. There are exceptions, though. Mist dragons in the care of the fairy will bind them and enchant them with their magic, prolonging their life spans and enhancing their power. Though technically they have been tamed and trained for hundreds of years, it has never been done by human hand.

Rain Dragons: Rain dragons are found wherever there is rain, which is pretty much all over the globe. The do favor wet and humid climates that are found in rainforests and jungles, and it is usually there where they flock to the most. Rain dragons are a species of dragon that never lands on the surface. At all. They don't even have legs. Most are long and serpentine with two incredibly large wings on the center of their back, and a pair of smaller ones near the base of their tails. Their scales have a variety of colors, like slate grey, deep blue, even crimson on a few occasions. They can grow to lengths of thirty feet or more, and make a sort of slithering motion to fly around in the air. Whenever a raincloud or storm passes in the vicinity of rain dragons, they immediately flock to it, dancing around inside the cloud as it lets off its moisture in the form of, well, rain. This is their main water source, while they eat various birds for food. Rain dragons usually collect so much water in their bodies they cannot hold it all, and consequentially they let off rain! They are a blessing to those in the midst of a drought, and will often drift to those places to give off life giving rain. Now one would normally think, "If they do that, why don't they bring rain to the deserts?" The problem with that is, deserts are usually dry and arid, and incredibly hot. A rain dragon on its own wouldn't last a day there. But, if they travel there in large groups, they can bring their waters to the thirsty desert. Like with natural desert storms, these dragon induced rainstorms do not last long. But it doesn't take long for the parched earth to lap up the rain, and thus life blossoms in the desert. Rain dragons live so long as they get an adequate amount of water. Some have given their life to give just a few more drops of rain to a drought plagued village, or to the parched desert when it's time to leave. Training and taming has been accomplished, but it's not easily done, since they won't even land for you to try.

Sorry for the short chapter. There aren't many water-air dragon hybrids to date. However, if you find of any, I'll be sure to add it to the "Updates" section.