Hybrids: Fire and Water

In the world of dragons, you will often find odd combinations of elements and dragons. But few are as unusual as the hybrids of fire and water. These dragons are complete opposites, yet similar in astounding ways. It's these similarities, and of course, love, that allows fire and water dragons to mate and create these unusual hybrids.

Steam Dragons: Steam dragons are the most common of the fire-water hybrids. This combination actually makes steam dragons a lot like air dragons, ethereal and constantly shape shifting. Steam dragons live in hot springs and geysers, where the heated waters keep them in existence. These dragons get all the food they need from mineral rich water and salt licks. This species of dragon in particular has a remarkable breeding process. The bodies of a male and female steam dragon combine into one swirling mass, and from that collected steam a new steam dragon is born. Sometimes humans wander into the home of a steam dragon and accidentally inhale some of its body. Some reports claim that the steam of these dragons have beneficial healing properties and can even grant a fortunate few amazing powers. Other reports, however, describe the body being in control of the dragon, a new puppet to do its dirty business of else turn into a plaything. Either way, steam dragons are rare, due to how opposing fire and water are to each other. Like many dragons that belong to water, their lives are connected to their homes, and are highly territorial to threats.

Greek Fire Dragons: Greek fire dragons are a sight indeed. These dragons are constantly on fire, green witch fire dancing across their bodies. Their scales are oily black with a rainbow sheen on them. Many dragonologists are unsure as to where exactly the Greek fire dragons live, but many assume volcanoes and near oil wells. Dragons of this species grow and shrink depending on how much oil, their preferred food, they have consumed. Like all fire dragon species, Greek fire dragons can breathe fire, but unlike most species, their fires are near impossible to put out. Water only makes them spread, and they're too hot to stomp on. The only thing that can put out this dragon's fire is more fire, regular fire. Greek fire dragons can actually control the temperature of their flames, making it safe to pet and handle to their friends. They can dissolve into a sort of lit oil, leaking through the smallest cracks and holes. Having a high metabolism (probably because of their fires), Greek fire dragons must eat several times an hour, and this is accomplished by swimming in a pool of oil. Their bodies absorb the oil to be digested. These dragons can be highly aggressive at times, and usually have bad tempers. Living for up to four hundred years, it's lucky that these nasty specimens only breed sparingly. Who knows what could happen if they become as common as a regular fire dragon?

Magma Dragons: Magma dragons are rarely seen to us humans aboveground, as they live deep underground in magma pools and rivers. The instant they go up to the surface, their physiology changes and they become lava dragons. Magma dragons love leaping out and diving into magma like dolphins, and also enjoy crunching on magma rocks. Indeed, that is their main food, as well as diamonds, when they approach close enough to the surface to reach diamond mines. These dragons can reach to various lengths and heights, as their bodies are partially liquid. They range in color from dull red to crimson with streaks of orange and black. Somehow, magma dragons reek with brimstone and sulfur. Which is strange, since there is usually no air to bask in that deep underground, since it's filled with magma. However, when they do reach open air (for lack of better term), they like to bask on rocks that had not melted yet. Surprisingly, these creatures are very social and love goofing around. Sometimes they merge their partially liquid bodies together and make weird, strange, conjoined versions of themselves. However, the second they reach open air, not only does their species change, but so does their demeanor. Lava dragons, the alternate form of magma dragons, are often very serious and melancholy. Magma dragons live so long as they stand underground and in magma. Once they reach open air, the magma dragon dies, and a lava dragon is born.