Chapter 20.

"So this is the famous pool room?" I asked as Luke opened the door, both of us entering the room. It wasn't even that special, the pool room was really just a big room with a pool in it, nothing more.

"Yeah, I told you it's not that cool. But there's a diving board, if that counts for anything." Luke shrugged and pointed to the other side of the room. He turned to face me and smiled, his hand still clutching onto mine.

"I'm impressed." I laughed, causing Luke to roll his eyes at me. He ran a hand through his hair, shaking it out a little.

"You don't have to lie, Stel." Luke chuckled. He sat down at the edge of the pool and rolled up the bottom of his jeans, letting his feet dip in the water. I sat down next to him, doing the same.

I let my head rest on his shoulder as Luke wrapped an arm around me, neither one of us speaking. I wasn't exactly sure how to act at the moment, given the all events that had just happened all in one night. I was a bit shaky, from all the kissing and the crying and the alcohol. It made me laugh that I had expected this to be a simply party consisting of Luke and I hiding out in a bedroom and talking, when really so much more happened. Luke actually seemed to be just fine. But that's how he always was, he was good at pretending that he was okay when he really wasn't.

After a long time of us not saying anything, Luke spoke. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah." I nodded, taking my head off of Luke's shoulder so I could look at him. Things were a little awkward between us, or maybe they were more awkward for me than for Luke. By now I had realized that I had definite feelings for Luke, but even though I knew this, a small part of me still wanted to be with Ashton - even though he hurt me. I just had so many feelings happening at the same time and I wasn't sure how to handle them.

"What's going to happen with you and Ashton now?" Luke swallowed. "I mean, I don't know, Stel...I'm just wondering how you're feeling about all of this."

I answered slowly. "I'm not sure what will happen, actually."

"You're going to break up with him, right?" Luke asked. He removed his arm from around me and backed up a little.

"I-I don't know." I choked out. All of this talk about Ashton was making me feel like crying again, it had only been a couple hours since this had all happened.

"What do you mean you don't know? You know what he did, right?" Luke groaned, which only made me feel worse about all of this.

"Yes, but he was all worked up and drunk and-" I tried to gather my thoughts, still defending Ashton even though I knew I shouldn't try anymore.

"He wasn't that drunk." Luke interrupted. "He knew exactly what he was doing."

"I can at least give him a chance to explain himself! I'm not going to just dump him without warning!" I yelled.

"You can't be serious, Stel. Yes you can dump him without wanring, he slapped you!" Luke shouted, throwing his arms up in the air.

"I just need to-"

"You don't need to do anything!" Luke yelled, "He hurt you and that's not okay, that's not what boyfriends do!"

"Luke, stop yelling at me." I said quietly.

"You're seriously considering staying with him after he did that to do? How can you be so stupid?" Luke stood up, and I did as well.

"I just need some time to think about it, Luke!" I screamed, "I've been in love with this kid for the past three years, I think I need a little time!"

"Bullshit, Stel! You didn't really love him! You don't even know what love is, love isn't even a real thing!" Luke scoffed.

"Really? And how would you know that?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. I was getting so tired of this, I couldn't believe Luke was trying to start a fight over this right now, when I was clearly still upset.