The Truth

August POV

"Did you two use protection?" The room got awkwardly quiet as Ri stared at me and I tried to avoid eye contact with her mama. "Answer me!" she said looking directly at Ri. I can't lie I was feeling guilty because Ri was about to take all the heat and it was my fault too. "Yeah." I answered finally breaking the silence. I couldn't tell if she believed me or not but they way she sat back in her chair I can tell she was relieved. "Ok I'm say this one time and one time only. Do not bring home a baby!" She said getting up and walking toward her room.

"You just lied to her face." Ri whispered. "Nah I just bent the truth a little." "August..." she smirked. "All I wanna know is how did she know." I had thought the same thing until I saw Ri's t-shirt on the floor in the living room and now looking at Ri she even looks a little different. "I think your t-shirt gave us away along with those hickies on your neck." I said getting up taking the dishes to the sink. She followed and dried the dishes as I washed. "I'm on birth control. If you were wondering." she said putting one of the clean glasses in the cabinet. "I know." I said finally finishing the dishes. I checked the time and realized I had plans to meet the homies for a game of basketball. "Ight bae I'm out" I said kissing her cheek and running to her room to get my bag. I went to unplug my charger and when I turned around Ri's mom was standing in the doorway. "I meant what I said August NO babies." she emphasized the no part. "Yes ma'am. Understood. " I assured her and walked back to the kitchen. "Call me later" Ri said pecking my lips. "Of course" i said picking her up and swaying. "Alright I gotta go." I put her down and kissed her one last time. "Love you." "Love you too" I answered back and got in my car.

*At the Basketball Courts*

"Look who showed up." Jj says dapping me along with Mike and Chris. "My bad" I say putting down my bag and lacing my shoes up. "Alright me and Chris vs. you and mike" I tell Jj. We play for about 45 minutes. Me and Chris whooped J and mike ass like always. We sitting on the bleachers and just chilling. "Aye Chris what's up with you and Ri home girl?" Mike say checking his phone. "Mann I'm feeling lil mama." Mike just shakes his head. "We don't love these hoes." he says laughing with J. "Nah we can't say that cause Ri got my nigga wide open. All in his feelings and shit." Mike says. "Damn right! I love her. Shit she the only girl I love. Y'all ain't heard having hoes ain't in no more." I say drinking my water. "Yo I'm bout to cuff shawty in a few days. Y'all niggas need to find y'all somebody fucking with all these thots." Chris say dapping me. "Enough with this feelings shit. Another game?" J ask. "Naw I need to go check on a few things" I say standing up. "Me too" Chris adds. "Alright I'll catch y'all lata" We all headed out and I head home to take a quick shower before going and getting Ri anniversary present.

RI POV

"Hello" I answer my phone while laying across my bed. "Is this Amerie?" A man ask on the other side of the phone. "Who is this?" I say sitting up. "Angelo." A big ball forms in my throat. Why in the hell is he calling me. I haven't spoken to him in years and now he just expect for us to have a conversation. A few minutes pass and I still remain silent. "I know how you feel about me and I understand. But your mother was telling me..." "Why is she even talkin to you. You left us years ago for another woman. You haven't even visitied. I was 10 when you left!" I get up and pace the room with fiery. What does he expect from me. Why is he even calling. Stay calm Ri just let him finish what he has to say and then you never have to deal with him again if you don't want to. "I know what you must feel and I am sorry for everything you have to believe me. I know I have a lot of making up to do but that's not why I called. Could you please meet me at that cafe I use to always take you to."

I have the urge to break out in tears but I push them back. Neither one of us speak for a while. "Fine" I finally say. "I'll be there waiting." I hang up the phone and throw it on my bed. First off I'm pissed my mom is talking to him at all and then talking about me at that. So what he sends money. we'll do fine without it. I grab a white parental advisory t-shirt and my high waisted acid washed shorts. I put on my white converse and head out. The whole car ride all I keep saying to myself is that he better not say anything stupid.

I pull up to the cafe. I walked inside and the lady greets me. "Party of 1?" she ask. "Uh no I'm looking for someone. Perez party?" she nods "yes right this way." she leads me to the table and there he sits. Not much has changed. Physically. I slide down into the booth and just stare at him. "Im happy you came." he says adjusting in his seat. "Yep." I say popping the p. "How have you been." "Look I didn't come for small talk I need you to tell me what you got me here for." I say closing my menu and leaning back in the seat. "Ok. Your mom has been telling me about August and I just want to know are you ready for all the commitment." Did he really bring me here to mettle in my business. " ahh I am ready for commitment you're the one who can't  commit. You left when I was 10 I'm not a little girl anymore." "Amerie Genesis Perez I am still your father!" "Who in haven't seen in 7 years!" Awkward silence again that seems to be a trend. "Your right." he finally admits.

"Ok I want to tell you the truth about me and your mom and then maybe you can understand where she's coming from." I just nod. "I started dating your mom when i was about your age. I genuinely loved her more than anything in my life. We were young and in love and then one day she found out she was pregnant. A month before graduation. She wanted to keep the baby but I convinced her not to. I wasn't ready to be a dad and she wasn't either even though she thought she was. So she had an abortion and she always felt like she shouldn't have listened to me. Then you and Layla came. Soon she found out that I had a son. He was 17 the same age our baby would've been and a 8 year old son. So she filed for divorce and I went back to my baby's mother. So I didn't just leave and start another family. I've never really left. I still live in Atlanta but I just knew your mom needed her space."

I really didn't know what to feel. He sounded sincere but why would my mom lie to me all these years. She told us he decided to leave and she wasn't goin to beg him to stay. But she was the one who wanted him to leave.

"No offense but what does that have to do with me and August?" I say confused. "She doesn't want you to end up in a situation where you'll always regret a decision you made like she does." Uhh ok" I get up and grab my things. "Thanks for tellin me" I tell him and smile. I walk to my car and reach for my phone and shoot my mom a text. 

Mama Dukes: We need to talk. I get in my car and drive home. She has a lot of explaining to do.

Comment! Vote! Share!

Should Ri dad have told her all that?
Is Ri wrong for being mad at her mom?
How about August and Ri?

LET ME KNOW

Love Y'all
-LIBRA XOXOXO