Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia

It has always been the same.

Here lies a quaint little town nestled between the vast landscape of hundred year old trees and a meadow surrounded by a variety of wildflowers; where a picturesque view with an array of cottages come in sight.

It has always been this way.

Where mornings are defined by the smiles of townsfolk as they stroll and begin their day just like it is, basking under the heat of the sun’s glare while walking through cobblestones glistened by last night’s rain.

Perfect, but not quite.

“Maria…..”

A mother’s cry looking for her daughter amidst people echoes through town. Tears flow as she makes her way through looking for the child she loves. Her heart constricts at the thought of not seeing her beloved again, a treasure her husband left her with. The only person that could make her smile despite everything they’ve been through.

“Have you seen her? Have you seen Maria?” she stops and says to the man who was looking at her all this time. He shakes his head somberly and tips his hat in recognition as his heart breaks for the woman.

“Maria….where are you?” she says over and over. “My child….where are you?”

She strolls through town every morning these past few days; waiting, watching and hoping that her Maria would come back to her.

“Christine.”

She looks over her shoulder and sees Rosa, the old woman who owns the town’s bread shop, approach her. “Are you alright? It’s been five days since….”

She looks at the old woman, lips quivering “This is entirely my fault. If I haven’t wallowed myself in misery because of my husband’s death, if I haven’t carelessly ignored my child…I wouldn’t, she wouldn’t…”

“Hey, this is a small town. She’ll be back. She’ll come back knowing that her mother is worriedly looking for her.”

The forlorn mother sighs and looks at the elderly woman. “It’s just that….I want to make up for the times I have ignored her….ever since her father died, I….” she stops and looks over the town where people were walking past: starting their day as usual, normally as it should have been as her heart breaks every minute her daughter isn’t with her. Even the elderly woman’s warm hand on her shoulder could not erase the concern that has been haunting her lately.

She prays to the heavens that Maria is well; she wishes that everything was just a dream.

Mama!

Even her voice seems to resonate everywhere. Is this how it’s going to be from now on? Is this how Christine would ever live her life, full of regrets and misery?

Mama!” The elderly woman taps her and she looks at the direction the former is pointing at. Her eyes brimming with tears as she slowly walk to her, praying that this was not a mirage; praying that finally her daughter came back.

MAMA!” It is when she finally hears her child’s voice did she run fast like her life depended on it, like a miracle has been bestowed upon her.

Maria’s smile is one that she would engrave in her heart for a long time. Hers is a sweet, innocent smile that could warm even the coldest of nights, the darkest of hearts and the doubts of one’s mind.

“Where have you been? I’m sorry, my child. I’m so sorry” Christine says to her over and over while hugging her, never letting go.

“Its okay, Mama; I’m sorry if Maria left you. I didn’t mean to, honest!” she looks at her mother with a small smile. “I just wanted to visit Papa’s grave and tell him to take away your pain. I just wanted him to make you smile again.” She cups her mother’s face, tears starting to form. “I didn’t mean to make you sad. I didn’t mean to.”

Christine hugs her once again “Please don’t ever do that again. Don’t leave me all alone. Don’t make me worry, my sweet.”

“But I am okay, see?” she twirls around, smiles at her mother and the elderly woman beside her. “I was with a very kind lady all this time. She even told me that I should get back to you because you might be worried sick.”

“Kind lady?” Christine looks at her daughter, confused. Maria points at the person behind her who is now walking away. Her eyes follow her daughter as she runs after the lady and stops in front of her. She sees Maria pulling her skirt, smiling at her; an affectionate one.

She approaches them both and looks at the lady her daughter was beaming on. Christine looks at her and smiles “Thank you. Thank you for taking care of my daughter.”

The lady just nods at her and says “Next time, try to give her the attention she deserves.” She then places a hand on Maria’s head and walks away. Christine could only look at her retreating back, startled at the way the lady looked at her but her heart was filled with gratitude nonetheless.

“Who is she?” she asks Rosa.

Rosa smiles and looks at the lady’s retreating form. “She is someone whose family has been in this town for years. But now, she is alone.” She looks at Christine and says “She’s beautiful isn’t she?”

Christine nods in agreement. Her long, wavy brown hair is almost as perfect as her face. She had the grace of an angel and the command of someone well-respected by many. But there was something about her eyes, something she couldn’t quite figure out.

“She likes to be alone.” Rosa says echoing the questions in her mind. “She sometimes visits town but she prefers to be alone.”

“What’s her name?” She looks over and sees her daughter still smiling at the person’s back while she walks away.

“Maine!” she hears her daughter say as the lady stops and turns with the grace of an angel. She looks at both of them and nods.

Christine looks at her and finally sees what she couldn’t quite figure out. Yes, there was something about her eyes: expressionless and indifferent; all glassy and dull.