Polaris

Do you love him?

A thought that clings at the back of her mind, all those years thereafter.

Do you love him?

Something she wished she said before it was too late.

Do you love him?

Yes.

You are cordially invited to a celebration of hearts:
RJ x Serena

Her vision blurs with tears as she touches the locket which she kept safe all those years. Her tears stain the invitation she got by surprise all those weeks ago. Her head starts to reel as she steps in a familiar place she hasn’t been to all these years.

“Grandpa Jay is dead” the dreaded message arrives the night before. The person whom she poured her heart and soul to is dead. The person who knew everything about her is dead; her childhood best friend is getting married to who seems to be the girl of his dreams. Sad life.

She looks at the star locket and smiles bitterly. Guess your magic is gone now, huh? Maine traces the engraved name and wonders why she didn’t try to open the locket. She sighs and looks at the familiar place, her safe haven and comfort during her earlier years. A letter addressed to her in Grandpa Jay’s familiar scrawl is neatly placed between the things he left her with.

“Maine”

She is startled to hear his voice after all these years; startled to see his face and remember all those feelings she has locked deep within her memory.

She turns and tries to compose herself “You’re here…”

“Of course I am here. How…how are you?” she looks at him and realizes how funny someone you have known your whole life seems to be a stranger right this instant. “You look good”

Suddenly the room seems smaller and the only thought that crosses her mind is escape. She heads towards the door but was blocked by RJ.

“Maine….can we….can we talk? Besides its raging outside so you’re struck here with me, whether you like it or not”

Maine looks out the window and notices the rain “What do you want to talk about?”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything.”

“Congrats on your upcoming wedding” she says trying to change the subject.

“Maine. Didn’t you hear me? I said I’m sorry”

“Why the hell are you even apologizing? For unconsciously hurting my feelings? For dodging me all these years? For trying to find ways not to see me because of that damn kiss from all those years ago?”

“Maine.” He says trying to calm her down “Please do know that I was afraid. I was afraid that if we talk about it, we won’t be friends anymore. I didn’t know how you felt, I was afraid to know what you felt about everything.

“Is that why you made the coward’s way out? RJ, you just had to take a leap, make a risk but you were too damn scared. I’m done.”

He sees her taking her star locket off, a gift he gave her all those years ago when everything was simple. He watches in horror as she throws the necklace and as it finally opens up revealing his engraved name inside. She shakes her head and gets out of the house feeling suffocated.

“Where the hell are you going?”

“Out. Away from you.” She says as she tries to go through the storm. He picks the locket and runs after her.

“Maine!” he shouts her name amidst the storm.

She looks at him and says “its better this way, RJ” She tells him, slightly shivering soaked from the rain.

“Can we just talk?”

“And what is there to talk about?”

RJ takes a deep breath as his hands tremble while he clutches the locket. “So what’s the use of this locket if you’re going to cut me off your life?” He looks at it briefly and throws it on the street.
Maine could only look at the locket in slow motion as it lands on the pavement. She looks at him with tears in her eyes and runs after it , unaware of flashing lights and RJ’s screams calling her name over and over.

A flash of light and everything ends.