Sirius

“Hi Maine, will you go to the prom with me?”

Maine looks at Chris who was looking at her with anticipation. She sighs and slams her locker “Chris, why the hell would you want to go to the prom with me?”

He looks at her bashfully and says “Because…because I like you, okay?”

She looks at him shocked. No one has had ever a crush on her. She, someone who kinds of intimidates her class; who prefers to be alone, trapping herself between the pages of a book; who looks at every boy in her presence as immature and annoying as someone she dearly knows is now being asked out for the first time in her third year high school, nay her whole high school life? She looks around “Am I being pranked?”

“Maine…”

“Hi, Chris!” RJ approaches them, draping an arm around her shoulder which made her roll her eyes at him. “Why do you have a rose?”

“I’m asking Maine out to the prom”

“Wait, what?” RJ looks at her and ruffles her hair. “Little Maine has an admirer? I’m so proud of you, little one; so, so proud.” He then looks at Chris and says “But you see, to ask Maine out you have to go through me and her older brother. You do remember who her older brother is right?”

Chris looks at RJ in shcok and hands Maine the rose as he hurriedly walks away.

She pushes him away and glares at him “What the hell was that, RJ?” The person in question just laughs at her “You are such a child.”

“Hey…what do you mean that I am such a child? Huh? Maine…MAINE!

She rolls her eyes at him as she tries to get the farthest away but failing to do so as he seems to follow her wherever she went. They were both in Maine’s house later that day and RJ was testing her patience as usual. “In case you haven’t noticed, you are already in your senior year. Start acting your age.”

“What the hell is the matter with you two?” Maine’s older brother reprimands them “What’s all with this bickering?”

“Chris asked me out for prom.”

“What?”

RJ puffs his chest and says “I told him that he would have to get through me and you…”

“Smooth” Maine’s older brother smirks and fist bumps RJ.

“Where the hell are you going?” RJ asks as he sees her storming out of the house.

“Away from here; away from both of you.”

“Then what did he say?” Grandpa Jay asks as he places a fresh batch of cookies in front of her.

“I smell peppermint.” She smiles and munches on a cookie aware of the elder man anticipating to hear the rest of her rant “I swear Grandpa, I really love your peppermint cookies.” She looks at him and continues “I was slamming the door on both of their faces and his ridiculous laughter.

Grandpa Jay laughs “Those were the days.” He looks at Maine with fondness in his eyes “Maine, boys sometimes do ridiculous things and ever say annoying things when they are young but that doesn’t mean they exist only to annoy you. You are friends, right?”

She takes a deep breath and tries to calm herself. “That’s the only thing I hold on to; the fact that I’ve known him my whole life” she subtly touches her star locket “That he is still dear friend.”

The elder man smiles at her and ruffles her hair, a habit he has acquired since she was young.
“Don't give up on him, sweetie” he says as he winks at her, eyes twinkling.

Grandpa Jay’s words echoes all though out as she sits in her backyard looking at the nigh sky. She closes her eyes and sighs. Sure RJ may be annoying but we have our moments.

She’s always been a nocturnal person and sitting amongst the stars has always been home for her.

“Maine…”

She abruptly opens her eyes and sees RJ sitting next to her with his head leaned back as he stares at the same night sky. “What the hell was that for? You almost gave me a heart attack”

“I’m sorry” she looks at him and tries to figure out that it is indeed RJ trying to apologize “I’m sorry for what I did in the past, for earlier and what I might do in the future”

Maine looks at him with suspicion “What’s the catch?”
He looks at her “Hey, can’t at least just apologize? Seriously, when it comes to you I feel like I should have a reason for everything I do.” They look at each other and laugh.

Both of them continue to stare at the blank sky as they enjoy the glimmer of jewels donning the night sky while they smile as they see a shooting star.

“Hey! Make a wish.” RJ says excitedly.

“You really love your shooting stars, RJ” Maine laughs and closes here eyes.

He eyes her suspiciously “What did you wish for? Hey, remember I already apologized!”
She laughs and looks directly at him, eyes boring into his “I just wish that nothing changes, forever”

A flash of light streak the night sky as they smile in content.