Cosmos

“Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might
Grant this wish I wish tonight”

A flash of light envelops the dark night as all one can hear are echoes of fervent prayers while they try to survive; while they try to go back to a time long forgotten.

“I don’t believe in shooting stars. Everyone created that story for fun. But I don’t believe in them.”

“But isn’t it a great story though? Shooting stars and wishes that do come true?”

A flash of light, a flicker in the distance; voices sway the rules of time.

RJ wakes up with a start.

He squints his eyes and looks at the surroundings like he always does. Like the mornings before this, he sees everything is where it should be; everything has always been where it should be except for one thing.

He opens his fist and sees a familiar star locket he’s been holding all this time; the only memory he has of her, a reminder of regrets and what should have beens.

This was his last chance.

He stares at his wrinkled hand as he slowly looks at the children playing outside, dreading the reality that was.

It was a failure.

This was his last chance and he was a failure.

“Grandpa Jay! Grandpa Jay!” Both children call out to him. He reluctantly stands up trying to wipe the tears that threaten to fall. If this is the end, its better to have loved once and drown in regrets rather than not loving at all.

He stands up and turns the knob, sighing at a failed chance and accepting that this is his fate.

“Why are you crying?”

His eyes widen as he slowly turns around meeting her puzzled but warm, familiar gaze. His eyes brim with tears seeing her smile.

“You’re alive.”

She looks at him and laughs “Yes, I am.” Her hand slowly touches his arm and he sees a wedding ring glistening.

“You’re married?”

“To you, for 50 years now. Now please get our grandchildren so that I could concentrate on making dinner.” He hugs her to her confusion, and she pats his back in return “Bad dream?”
He shakes his head “No, a wish come true.” He says while clutching the locket.

A flash of light, a wish granted on a rainy night; a moment where one returns bending the rules of time.

“Maine!”

She looks at him as he runs towards her just as a car was about to screech, moments before everything ends.

“Don’t ever do that again.” He says as he hugs her, clinging like his life depended on it. He looks at her with tears in her eyes. She wipes his and leans their foreheads together.

“So what happens now?” She whispers and he smiles.

A flash of light, a wish granted; souls are spared in a fate recounted.

T H E    E N D