(12) Day 6. Firsts

But every once in a while I would think of the way Poe looked at me, the perfect mixture of tenderness and hunger in his eyes.

And I wondered, How am I going to get through class tomorrow?

_____

I thanked my lucky stars all throughout breakfast and first session because Poe hadn't looked at me or attempted to talk to me. 

I was very disappointed when I was scaling down the ladder of my cockpit and I heard a subtly deep voice call out, "Akai, can I please see you at my desk?" 

Rizee, who was walking towards me, rolled her eyes because the same thing had happened yesterday. 

"Go ahead. Go to lunch." I said to her before starting my awkward trek up to Poe's desk. 

I could barely look into his deep mahogany eyes because a) they seduced me so horribly and b) in the past week Poe -- my professor, mind you -- had stared at my @ss and tried to kiss me during a private tutoring session. 

If those thoughts alone didn't make me feel uncomfortable, what would?

So I bleakly glanced into his eyes before looking down at his desk. 

"I -- I'm sorry for last night, Akai. I figured we could try the session again tonight, after dinner, back here?" My eyebrows naturally furrowed at Poe's tentative words and I suddenly could meet his eyes. 

"You're being serious?" I asked, disbelieving. Poe slowly nodded. 

Pro -- I get to spend more time with my hot teacher. Con -- I get to spend more time with my hot teacher! Pro -- I become a better pilot. Con -- I don't become a better pilot because Poe tries to kiss me and I can't hold myself back this time. 

I thought of Opi, and her advice about taking chances rather than always be wondering 'what if'. 

Last time I took that advice things ended pretty badly for me, I deliberated. 

"Okay. I'll meet you here after dinner." I answered, feeling totally unprepared to adequately reply.

A confident grin spread onto his features slowly, teasing me. 

"Alright. See you then." 

*****

Lunch, dinner, and the second class session all passed so quickly only because I knew what they were leading up too -- my second tutoring session with Poe. 

I took several calming deep breaths as I made my way to his class following dinner. I didn't know whether to be excited because I was going to become a better pilot or worried because Poe had tried to kiss me last night and I'd bailed. 

He hadn't acknowledged me at all during second session, so I wasn't sure if this was going to be awkward or not. 

Knowing myself, probably going to be pretty awkward, I thought, shaking my head. 

All of the lights in the classroom were off when I walked in except for Poe's lamp, just like last time. A chair was pulled up next to him, just like last night. I slowly walked up. 

Poe looked up, saw me, and finished writing his sentence. 

"Hey," He greeted, sounding unenthusiastic. 

I smiled halfheartedly, my stomach suddenly feeling queasy. "Hi." 

"So, if you take a seat, Akai, we can start working on advanced ship controls again." Poe suggested, and I wanted to be a model student and listen well so desperately but I got distracted by how he'd pronounced my name.