(13) Day 7. Highs and Lows

I headed back to my dorm feeling ashamed and embarrassed, but I had next to no clue about the detrimental consequences my actions would lead to.

_____

The next day at lunch, Opi was teasing Rizee and I by hiding good news from us until ShanHa got there.

"I want everyone to hear it!" Opi argued when Rizee and I both demanded she outed her news to us.

I scoffed. "C'mon! We don't even know if she'll show up!"

I had been struggling to mask my disappointment and internal emotions the entire day. Looking at Poe during first session had nearly set off a panic attack, but I remained steady and focused on my work.

Finally ShanHa walked in and silently sat down next to Opi. Opi looked at Rizee and I, grinning excitedly.

Rizee and I shared a mock-irritated side glance, but we were just joking around with Opi.

"Okay!" Opi began, leaning in towards us, increasing the anticipation, "I am being accelerated into an actual recruiting position!"

I frowned. "What?"

"I'm being moved out of my class and into an advanced training sort of deal. I'm entering the actual recruiting field as a trainee! Of course, I'm only an intern so I won't be doing any field work, which means I get to still stay at the academy and still be your dorm mates! But I'll be getting paid, too." Opi explained, raising her eyebrows ecstatically.

I was taken aback. I had always assumed that my friends were intelligent, but I'd never thought any of them to be smart enough to be accelerated past the academy and into a job.

"That's pretty d@mn stupendous, Opi. Congratulations." Rizee smiled with genuine kindness.

"Thanks! I'm pretty nervous because I'll be starting in just a week but --"

"What will your work consist of?" ShanHa intervened, much to all of our surprise.

Opi answered as if it was normal for ShanHa to participate in conversation. "I'll be sorting through files of potential recruiting candidates, and of all different levels! I'll have some low, insignificant recruits and then some high profile cases!"

ShanHa nodded, amused. "How high profile?"

"I'm not sure! I haven't started the job yet." Opi finished thoughtfully.

"But you'll be staying in the dorm still, right?" Rizee questioned, raising a concerned eyebrow.

Opi nodded. "Mm-hmm!"

"That's so awesome. I honestly didn't know you were that good." I admitted sheepishly, causing Rizee to laugh.

Opi laughed, too, her amber-colored eyes alight with ambition. "I'm gonna be honest, I didn't know either! I'm just happy I found something I'm good at -- recruiting!"

I had to admit that I was impressed. Opi had been in the academy for less than a week. Her professors had had less than a week to analyze Opi's skill levels and intuition, and she was already on her way into the real world of recruiting. Knowing that Opi had proved her potential and intelligence in such a small amount of time was astounding.

Opi's success was a little hard for me to swallow as well seeing as the only things I'd done at the academy so far was get into a fight with a boy trying to kiss me and then turn around and make out with my professor.

Oops, I sarcastically chastised myself mentally.

Second session passed by quickly again. I tried to fall asleep so I wouldn't have to look at or listen to Poe's savory, rough, assertive voice, and I succeeded.