chapter two

CHAPTER TWO
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     ONE THING THAT TRULY made the ground so real as compared to the Ark was the colors and sounds

ONE THING THAT TRULY made the ground so real as compared to the Ark was the colors and sounds. Every hue of green, brown, and other oddly captivating shades surrounded Taylor in a whirlwind of exuberance. No longer did her boots make an unpleasant clunking reverberation on metal, instead they now made soft rustling sounds against the dirt and dry plants.

Those things alone made her realize that it wasn't just the prisoners that were trapped. Every person on the Ark had been trapped one way or the other, confined to space and unfair hierarchies. This was the first time that she had ever felt like she was unquestionably able to do whatever she wanted.

Beautiful purples screamed at her in the form of flowers on the ground as they passed through the bend that they were growing in. Finn picked one up and carefully placed it in Octavia's hair. She smiled and stared into his eyes longingly, which made Taylor roll her eyes quite obviously.

"Now that, my friend, is game," Jasper said, pointing to the two in envy.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac," Monty informed casually as he picked one and carried it with him. Octavia's face went from one of glee to one of absolute shock.

"What? It is?" she questioned as she ripped the flower from her hair and attempted to rub off any poison that could have still resided there. Jasper had a knowing smile on his face and Monty smirked.

"The flowers aren't poisonous," he clarified. "They're medicinal. Calming, actually." He popped the flower into his mouth cheerfully and Octavia exhaled in relief, casting a slight warning glance at Monty before facing forward.

"His family grows all of the pharmaceuticals on the Ark," Jasper explained. Taylor knew that would be useful. Even when they did find the supplies, it would be good to know what was edible and what would kill you in an instant.

"Hey, guys, would you try to keep up?" Clarke requested from the font of the line that they were walking in. She had been ahead the entire time, not saying a single word to the rest of them unless it was about Mount Weather or supplies.

"Come on, Clarke. How do you block all of this out?" Finn questioned as they caught up to her. They all came to a stop in front of her and she began to give her answer to Finn's question.

"Well, it's simple. I wonder, why haven't we seen any animals? Maybe it's because there are none," she told them all grimly, her voice becoming incredibly edgy. "Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty, though. Come on." Clarke turned the minute she had finished speaking and began to walk again.

"I appreciate that positive thinking of yours," Taylor said, not really sure if Clarke would hear her or not but saying it nonetheless.

"I'm thinking realistically. Positive gets you killed," Clarke snapped without even turning her head in the slightest to look at them when she spoke.