chapter thirty-two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     THE FIRST TIME she woke up, it was to pain and tears blurring her vision

     THE FIRST TIME she woke up, it was to pain and tears blurring her vision. A vaguely familiar voice told her that it would be okay, but that was something that was getting harder for her to believe after everything. And then that pain became so much that she faded away once again.

     The second time, it was more calm. Her joints ached dully and her arm was definitely in pain. She was able to move her stiff neck and saw a bandage wrapped tightly around her upper arm. Taking a deep breath, she stared at the ceiling. It appeared as though she was in some sort of tent, so she had gathered that she had been taken in by the Ark's camp.

     A few people laid distantly apart in the area, the new medical center clearly having been put together in a rush. Even so, it felt much better to be resting, to be somewhere where she wasn't about to be killed. For the time being.

     Sitting up was a difficult process, her arm screaming in protest along with virtually every other muscle that she possessed. When she finally situated herself on the edge of the table that the doctors had placed her on, she froze in her movements.

     He was dead. She had to be asleep still. There was no other way that Bellamy would be sitting next to her, asleep and peaceful looking, unless it was some sort of dream. A cruel one at that. She hadn't thought about it in a while, with the action of the past few days and all. Maybe it was some kind of punishment.

     Taylor could already feel the tears in her eyes at the sight and closed them tightly, gasping and only wishing for the pain to go away. For her to wake up. But she didn't.

     There was a light rustling from the side and she didn't open her eyes to see Bellamy's now open ones, gazing at her carefully. "Hey," he whispered quietly, slightly unsure of how to gain the distressed girl's attention.

     Her eyes snapped open and stared at him for a moment. "This — no — you're dead — I — it can't," she stuttered, her nails digging into her palms as she struggled. He stood up and wrapped her in a tight hug, the feeling of his arms as real as anything else.

Letting herself melt into the embrace, more tears escaped her eyes as she buried her face in his shoulder. "I thought you were dead," she got out in a shaky whisper.

"I'm here," he assured her, pulling her closer. His own fears had been realized when he had returned to the dropship only to find that she wasn't there. They sat there for a few minutes, only pulling apart slightly. Finding themselves touching foreheads, he raised his hand to wipe a few stray tears from her face.

A smile broke out on her face for the first time in she didn't know how long, Bellamy smiling along with her. It was a warmth that had been ripped away from her, but its slow return gave her joy that she was starting to forget what it felt like.