chapter fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     SHE CLIPPED THE LAST OF THE WIRE sewn into his skin, Taylor exhaling in relief

SHE CLIPPED THE LAST OF THE WIRE sewn into his skin, Taylor exhaling in relief. Clarke sat across from her at the table that Finn laid on; Raven was the only one not seated. The other two looked and sounded just as relieved as she was at the fact that he was okay.

     "Okay, I'm done," Clarke announced, tearing her eyes away from the wound and looking up as she took a deep breath.

"Good. Do you have anything to cover the wound?" Abby's crackling voice questioned.

"We'll make do. Like always," Clarke responded with a sigh. In times like this Taylor wasn't quite sure herself how they always managed to make do despite the challenges they constantly faced.

"Should he be this pale? Warm, too," Raven brought up concernedly, looking down at Finn with her eyebrows pinched together. Her hand rested on a rag that covered his damp forehead.

"He's lost a lot of blood, Raven, but if your boyfriend is anywhere near as tough as you, I'm sure he'll be fine," Abby assured. Raven smiled slightly, Clarke glancing down at the floor for a moment before raising her hand to Finn's chest.

"Wait, Mom, she's right," Clarke agreed. "He's feverish, and his breathing's uneven." Taylor would most definitely not be the one to call herself a medical expert, but she assumed that all of the things that Clarke had listed off were not good signs.

"You need to give him some time to recover. Let me know if he gets any worse, but I think - I think he might just be out of the woods," Abby said with more reassurance in her tone. Clarke simply sighed and threw the rag in her hands on the table next to her.

"Well down here there's nothing but woods," she snapped, closing her eyes and dragging her hands across her forehead. Sighing, she declared, "I need a break." Pushing herself up from her seat, she began to make her way to the ladder.

"Clarke. Clarke, wait," Abby protested, almost offended at Clarke's sudden urge to leave the room. "Could you guys give us a few minutes?"

"Sure."

"Of course."

Both of the girls made moves to leave Clarke and her mother, but Clarke held up her hand and shook her head. "No. No," she objected. "You two stay with Finn." And with that, Clarke disappeared up the ladder. The constant rattling of the ship made it virtually impossible for the room to be quiet, but it did not make the silence between Taylor and Raven any less uncomfortable.

"Hey, are you okay?" Raven asked suddenly, gesturing to her arm. Taylor narrowed her eyes in question and directed her eyes down to where she could now feel a clear stinging pain. She grunted in pain as she remembered that where the Grounder had cut her had gone untreated since she acquired the wound.