chapter thirty-seven

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

      IT TOOK everything in her not to pace nervously around the room while Clarke spoke

IT TOOK everything in her not to pace nervously around the room while Clarke spoke. The Grounders scared her to a certain degree, but she had faced them before. The sheer number of the them was what was getting to her.

"They're not attacking yet," Clarke pointed out. "Which means we still have time."

"We have two hours until dawn," Abby told her skeptically. Time was only ticking away with every passing moment.

"Let me and Taylor talk to the Commander. She was Anya's second. Maybe she'll listen," Clarke pressed on, standing confidently in front of the so-called leaders of their people.

Jaha took a deep, impatient breath, refusing to dignify Clarke with even a glance. "We don't even know if the Commander is here," he dismissed, making their chances seem miniscule.

"Yes we do, Nyko told us," Finn said, looking between all three adults desperately. "You have to at least let her try."

"We don't have a lot of options, anyway. They've seen that we're not gone," Taylor added, Jaha looking utterly bored with their arguments. It was quite obvious he didn't care about what they were saying and he only wanted to leave.

"Abby, we're wasting time," he alerted, looking only at her — dismissing the rest of them as children. "Give me the authority now."

"Hold on," Abby stopped him, shooting him a dangerous look. "Clarke, you said that Lincoln is going through withdrawal. We don't even know what he's withdrawing from. The detox alone could kill him."

Leaning back with an exasperated sigh, Jaha sounded frustrated and defeated. "That's where you come in," Clarke responded.

"And if I can't save him?" Abby asked.

"That's not an option."

Jaha looked between the two incredulously. "We're risking everything on a bluff? Abby, we have an out. We have a way to save the lives of our people," he pleaded.

"Not all of them," Finn said, the reality of their friends at Mount Weather looming above them.

"We will come back to save the kids inside Mount Weather!" Jaha snapped, slamming his palms on the table as he stood up.

"We all know that's not gonna happen!" Finn shot back, Jaha striding around the table to face Abby directly.

"Abby, this has gone on long enough. If you do not give the order to begin the exodus you are killing us all," he accused, speaking almost directly into her ear.

Taylor crossed her arms and shook her head. "You not listening to your people and throwing away lives you think are expendable has gone on long enough," she spat, looking at him steadily. His expression shifted to offended, which made her feel slightly better. She knew it shouldn't have, but it did.