chapter twenty-seven

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     THE ROOM THAT THEY WERE USHERED INTO, under the careful watch of the two guards that had accompanied them into the elevator, was very reminiscent of Dante's office and Taylor assumed the same ancient look was recurring throughout the whole mo...

THE ROOM THAT THEY WERE USHERED INTO, under the careful watch of the two guards that had accompanied them into the elevator, was very reminiscent of Dante's office and Taylor assumed the same ancient look was recurring throughout the whole mountain.

A group of people stood huddled around a young woman that spoke to them, Taylor unable to see her clearly as a result of the crowd. Both she and Clarke looked around in confusion, giving each other skeptical glances.

"Your packet contains everything you need to know about Mount Weather. Which, I promise, isn't as confusing as the map on page one makes it out to look. You came from level three, which houses our medical facility, including quarantine —" the woman was announcing to those watching in front of her.

     "Clarke! Taylor!" a voice from the crowd rang out, interrupting the explanation of the place that they were entrapped in. Monty broke away from the crowd and wrapped Clarke in a hug, the rest of their people following suit. Jasper greeted Taylor with his own hug and she could feel herself let out a breath of relief at the sight of all them alive.

     After Jasper broke away to hug Clarke, Monty and Taylor traded a relieved one themselves. Taylor found herself smiling genuinely, until Clarke mentioned something that she had been trying to avoid thinking about.

     "Finn and Bellamy?" she questioned, looking at the others with hopeful eyes. Taylor looked at the ground intensely, trying everything in her power to think about anything else.

     "Clarke, they, uh...they didn't make it," Jasper responded quietly, pausing to look at the others with uncertainty. Clarke looked at him blankly for a moment before shaking her head slightly.

     "We don't know that," she denied softly, looking between the two in front of them. The others of the crowd had broken away into their own groups, leaving this conversation for only the four of them. "What about Raven?"

     Dead silence was the only response, giving them the all the answer with none of the words. Taylor wiped the tears from her cheeks quickly, in time for the woman who was standing at the front of the crowd to push through Jasper and Monty with two binders in her hands.

     "Welcome, Clarke, Taylor. If you have any questions, I'm Keenan," she greeted with a friendly smile before walking away again. Taylor's fingers tightened around the plastic edges of the binder, trying to ignore just how uncomfortable she felt being there.

__________

     At dinner later that night, Taylor stared at her uneaten plate of food pensively while Jasper and Monty fought over cake. She wasn't sure exactly what they were doing, she had stopped paying attention when they started swapping deserts.