chapter twenty-four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     THE LOOMING, INTENSIFIED THREAT OF THE GROUNDERS had come to a climax

THE LOOMING, INTENSIFIED THREAT OF THE GROUNDERS had come to a climax. Taylor felt wrong just up and leaving as she shoved anything that she thought might somehow be useful into a bag. Everyone bustled around with boxes and bags in their hands, packing away anything they could carry. It felt like giving up to leave everything they had worked so hard to build.

     When she entered the dropship, Raven was grunting in pain on one of the tables and Taylor's jaw tightened at the sight. If the bullet had gone just the other way, or just a few inches off, it might have been her lying on that table, crying out in agony.

     Scanning the room for anything she might have missed when packing the bag, her eyes stopped on a rope that was scattered on the floor. Picking it up, she examined it and noticed that the end was tied up and part of it was severed. Bile rose into her throat when she realized that the end was tied up into a noose, her mind flashing back in a panic to the marks on Bellamy's neck.

Dropping the rope quickly as if it was some sort of evil object, she felt someone's hand on her shoulder. Turning around, she found Finn's kind eyes looking at her in question. She didn't give him time to say anything, simply wrapping him in a hug. It was the first time she had truly had the chance to say something to him since the woods.

Smiling at him and nodding was all that she did, apparently that being all she needed to say as he did the same in return. Clarke rushed into the ship with Bellamy hot on her tail with a knife that glowed orange. Finn and Taylor met them near the table where Raven was lying, Taylor glancing between the knife and Raven's wound nervously.

"This is going to hurt, but I need to stop the bleeding," Clarke informed, Raven nodding with gritted teeth and her eyes squeezed shut. She pressed the heated knife against Raven's skin, producing a sickening sizzling sound that intermixed with her screams. Finn clutched onto her hand tightly, looking all around worried and confused."That should stop the external bleeding."

"I don't understand. How did Murphy get a gun?" Finn questioned, glancing between Taylor and Bellamy, who stood opposite him and Clarke on the other side of Raven.

"Long story," Bellamy replied, Taylor nodding along absently. Her mind drifted again to the rope on the floor, the shouts and gunshots just above their heads, and the bullet that pierced through Raven. It was long enough for her to not want to retell it, or at least not yet.

"We got lucky. If Murphy hit the fuel tank instead of me we'd all be dead," Raven commented weakly, her face still screwed up in pain as her head bobbed back and forth.

     "Wait, there's rocket fuel down there?" Clarke inquired, a new tone overtaking her words. One of shock, one that suggested that she had an idea.