Eight - It's His Warmth

"You're ripped at every edge but you're a masterpiece"

Halsey, Colors

My pity attempts of covering myself with my sweatshirt sleeve fail when Ashton gently drags me out of the small space. Instantly, I interlock eyes with Bryan which makes my head thump. I run.

Out the doors, into the streets but not downtown. Although we had just run a mile I can't stop my legs from carrying myself somewhere far far away. Away from Ashton, away from Bryan, away from Autumn, away from Ivy, away from Jenna, away from everybody. Running seems to be my reflex in uncomfortable situations. I let my hair tangle behind me and let the sweat drip down my face.

Ignoring Ashton's cries and protests as I continue sprinting away. His hand grips onto my wrist keeping me from racing from him. It's so tight, and it makes me feel chained.

"What's the fuck is your problem?" Ashton shrieks, commencing the tears to stroll down my face and drip onto my hoodie.

"Let go of her wrist Ashton. Leave her alone and let her have her time." Bryan cools down Ashton and he softens the grip, then abandoning it. Ashton scoffed and walked in the other direction. Thinking I was alone, I slid against the wall and pulled my knees up to my chest.

I could feel myself choke up, trying to catch my breath. The warmth of a body crouched down next to me when I turned my head away.

"Are you okay?" Bryan whispered, his honey coated voice ringing through my ears. This guy has no damn idea how he messes with my heart, now does he? The way that my mind is the puppet and he's the puppet master, yet he doesn't have a clue of who he's playing with.

I softly rubbed my forehead. "Yeah, I guess." Out of the blue, he wrapped his arms around me giving me this sense of security. We sat on the side walk in silence for awhile until curiosity killed him.

"What happened back there? One second you're playfully wheezing and the next you're sobbing," He speaks in a hushed tone. Honestly, it beats me why he cares.

"I- I can't tell you." The way Jenna spoke, you could tell that wasn't going to be the last interaction I have with her. It was the very first.

Reading my mind, he asked. "Did it have to something with Jenna?" Without making a noise, I slowly nodded my head. He ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled.

"I'm so sorry." He bitterly chuckled. "I don't know what's gotten into her, she's been such a jerk lately." Bryan looked up at me while I stood up. He stood up next up to me and rubbed my arms. A wave of anxiety crashed upon me when his eyes lingered to the inner part of my arm, as my old self-harm scars were released.

"But why? Does Ashton know? Does anyone know? Do your parents k-"

"No! Okay! No one knows and we're keeping it at that. If this somehow slips I'm going to kill you. You have to promise me not to tell a soul." Bryan gazed into my eyes and darted his eyes to mine. He slowly pulled me into a hug, rubbing circles on my back. My body tensed up and he pulled away.

"Don't do that to yourself." He looked at me straight in the eye. The lump in my throat clogged up my ability to respond. He cares?

"I don't understand why you care. You only know me as the girl who broke into your house that one night, and only talks to you because her friends dare her to do so." A tiny smile pulled at our lips looking back at that. It was only the beginning of the dares Autumn and Ivy have planned for me. At the start of the year, they promised they'd try to get me with Bryan.

Good luck, because we are kind of polar opposites. Opposites never attract. It's a lie.

"No one should harm themselves, it's not fair. I'll walk you home."

.

.

We make our way up the steps to the two huge glass doors. He smiles and waves at me, leaving me with so much to over think. The sun had already started to set and the peak of the moon could be seen.

To my surprise, my father was home but not my mom. He kissed my forehead and pulled me into a hug.

"How was school, Jade?" It's mind-boggling that parents still ask that even though most of their children wouldn't respond with the one hundred percent truth. "Great." I respond blandly.

Trudging upstairs I reflect on everything that happened today. It was my thing to describe days like these as a "collage" day. Misplaced, unexpected, and out of order. Lately everyday seemed to be like that.

Bryan fucking Jones walked me, a girl who worships Netflix, food and music home. Who would want to walk someone like me home? Of course, the true answer is pity and that's honestly really sad.

My dad's cheerful greet made the house ring with joy. I peaked out of the window, just as I suspected, I groaned and went downstairs to meet up with Ashton. Trying not to raise to much suspicion, I shoot him a glare and look back at my dad.

"Jade! You never told me Ashton went to Lambert, it's been so long! Are you two still dating?" No. No, no, no. Ashton nodded and I swallowed the lump that conveniently grew larger in my throat.

"I have to talk to Jade in private Mr. Williams." My dad nodded respectfully, as if Ashton was the one who was thirty years older than us, and lead Ashton and I to the back porch.

My throat went dry as Ashton's smile dropped right after my dad left. A scowl etched onto his face his eyes darting right into mine without mercy.

"What is your problem? I keep asking you this and you keep ignoring me. I'm serious, Jade. If there's something wrong with you we can't be a thing." He breathed out like he was holding that in for awhile.

"You would leave me and not help me if there's something wrong with me?" He nodded shamelessly, resulting in my very twisted stomach.

"Get the hell out of here. I'm not the sick one, you are." I pointed towards the door and pushed him out the house as fast as I could. "You better not think about showing your sorry-ass around here anytime soon." And it left off at that.

Sorry I didn't update sooner

Sorry I didn't update sooner. I've been dealing with a lot of personal problems, and writers-block. I apologize if this chapter isn't the best but I just didn't want to leave you guys hanging for so long :)

Lemon Tops & Gumdrops,
SIMI