Thirty Eight - Chocolate Chip Cookies & Matching Pajamas

"Go ahead and cry little girl, nobody does it like you do,"

Daddy Issues, The Neighbourhood

"Jade," At this point, the norm is for Connor to wake me up. And he is persistent as heck! If I don't get up the first time he calls my name, it's just a bunch of obnoxious (but funny) pick-up lines from there. "Can I be your Santa baby?"

I grunt in response. "Who needs a sled when you can just ride me?" He shook my shoulders to get me awake.

"Leave me alone," my eyes peered open to the sight of Conner deep in thought, thinking of yet another pick-up line, probably. "What day is it today?" He looked at me with his mouth wide open.

"It's Christmas Eve, get up!" He dragged me out of bed – literally. Somehow, someway this boy managed to keep his grip on my arm and continuously tugged on me until I stumbled out of my nest with my comforter trailing behind me.

Conner continued this, even while going down the stairs. No matter what, he just kept pulling, tugging, pulling, tugging. My mom and Mrs. Peterson were laughing, sipping coffee and gazing at the snow outside. Towards the last few steps, my comforter caught up with my legs, causing me to topple down the stairs, dragging Conner straight into the floor with me.

Crash!

"What are you kids doing?" Mrs. Peterson let out a slight chuckle before sending us a puzzled look. My mom bit her lower lip but failed at her attempts to try not to laugh. "That's adorable," my mother cooed at us as if we were two fluff-balls of puppy fur just learning how to walk.

Actually, that's kind of how it looked like since the blanket was draped over both of us.

"Well, a certain klutz, she who shall-not-be-named somehow tripped and nearly caused me to have serious brain issues," he cleared his throat melodramatically. I let out an over-exaggerated gasp, "are you referring to moui?"

"Oh, whatever would make you think that?" Conner asked with a bored tone. He ripped off the comforter and chucked it away. "My blanket!" I shrieked and ran towards it, cradling it in my arms.

"My blanket," Conner mimicked me, earning him an icy-glare. He chuckled and shook his head, "so what do you guys usually do for Christmas? Like traditions?"

My whole mood lit-up at the thought that Christmas was just less than twenty-four hours away! "We usually bake cookies, binge-watch Christmas movies in the fort we make in the living room, camp out in the forts, and wear matching footie-pajamas," my list ended with an unintentional giggle.

Conner looked at me with a genuine smile, "should I be taking notes?" He raised an eyebrow which only got him an elbow in his arm. "Matching footie-pajamas, huh?"

"Yup," he looked at me in amazement. "They sell matching-pajamas is different sizes?" I nodded. "Impressive," a slight chuckle escaped his lips.

After for just a mere moment of silence, I blurted, "can we make cookies, now?"

Yes – I am a five-year old, so what?

"Aye-aye Captain Jade!" Conner grinned and wrapped his arms around my waist, lifting me up for a second and putting me on his back. "Where to, m'lady?"

"Off to the kitchen, to finish the cookies – once and for all! Onward!" I commanded. He took off in the direction of the kitchen and landed me onto the ground.

But I guess you could say that this guy really does sweep me off my feet.

Ba-dum-tish!

"Okay, first we 'cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.'" I read off the directions on a baking site. Every single year, we've only made chocolate-chip cookies. Our whole family prefers the classics, and aren't too fond of the sugar cookies with a dump of icing and sprinkles on them.

Conner grabbed the basic stuff we'd need – eggs, flour, baking soda, sugar, and butter. I took control of the bowls, mixers, pans, and utensils.

Everything was going normal and right. Until a trickling feeling of liquid poured down from my scalp, and onto my forehead. A mixture of yellow and a clear liquid. An egg!

What else would you expect from baking with Conner? Remind me never to let him get a cooking show.

"Conner," I gritted my teeth while he wore a mischievous grin and broke the egg shell into itty-bitty pieces right above and in my hair. "What are you doing?"

"I read somewhere that egg is good for your hair, just doing you a favor," he bat his eyelashes all innocent like, wearing a fake halo. I shot him a glare while slowly grabbing a handful of flour and chucking it at him – straight in the chest! Bullseye! Or bullschest, I don't know.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me and grabbed the bag of sugar. I held the bag of flour protectively to my chest, grabbing a few eggs for good measure. "Oh Williams, you got into deep shit."

I ran around the counter, ducking behind the island as he aimlessly threw sugar in my directions. Right when I popped back up, Conner jerked his hand back – full of sugar – and forward, into me. I let out a shriek and sprinted to the right side of the counter to sneak up behind him.

Once he was facing the other way, I got onto my tippy-toes and dumped all the flour onto him and cracked – more like smashed – all the eggs onto his head. He turned around with a scowl but it was hard to take him seriously when his once blonde hair, was now a winter wonderland.

"Conner, you look like Jack Frost! Or you know, the more I think about it – you look like Elsa!" He scrunched up his nose and shook his head, letting all the flour sprinkle onto me. "Conner!"

A victorious grin spread across his face as he leaned against the fridge, "I think – I win."

Oh no, no. No! I'll make sure that I finish it, and I'll win it.

Before I could get my hands on one more egg, he grabbed ahold of my waist and propped me onto the counter. "Also, one more thing," he held the sugar above my head, turned it upside down, and let it pour onto me – getting lost into my bed head.

"Conner what's all the commotion?" The footsteps of our mothers approached the kitchen and our eyes shot wide.

"Jade Veronica Sapphire Opal Williams, what in the world are you doing?" My mother cried, making me bite my lip.

AUTHORS NOTE

Aren't they adorable? I think they're adorable.

It's almost the end guys. Two more chapters, and no more DOD.

*sObS* but on a more positive note, do you guys like the new cover? I really really like it (:

Q.O.T.C

What names are your favorite and why?

A.O.T.C

Probably Alicia or Eliza, they both are just really pretty.

Hey! If you enjoyed Dare or Dare, you're bound to enjoy my new book - Back to California! It would be absolutely amazing if you could go check it out, I'll be posting the first chapter super soon! 

Glasses & Plastics

SIMI