Nineteen - Trip to the Mall

"I hope you won't ever lie to me and if you do, I know I won't be your cry baby"

Cry Baby, The Neighbourhood

"Come on Williams," Conner jogged after me. For once I was speed-walking with a good and reasonable purpose. Conner. Would. Not. Leave. Me. Alone.

Sure, I may have been ignoring him for majority of the day because of the trouble he's gotten me into but is that really news-breaking news? I do it every day.

"Oh would you look at that, I'm home!" I signaled to my house. "It's been a great chat really but I must be going. Ta-Ta!" I was about to be free from my assigned devil before my mom snapped at me.

"Jade Veronica Sapphire Opal Williams, I raised you better then to get rid of guests like that! Especially people we know. Now you invite him in or else," she narrowed her eyes at me.

"But mom!" I whined. That must have been the most cliché teenager phrase I've said in my entire life.

I'm seventeen.

"Come in Conner, so sorry that Jade is being such an unwelcoming host," she shot me one more 'this isn't over miss' look before opening the door wider for Conner to come in. When she went upstairs, I stuck my tongue out at Conner imitating a five-year old.

"So is it a thing to be named after gems in your family?" Conner chuckled. I looked at him puzzled for a further explanation. "Jade, Sapphire, Opal?" He looked at me with sarcastic wide eyes.

"Maybe I'm as tough as a rock!" I smirked at him for a change. He poked my shoulder and sunk into the living room couch with a lop-sided grin. "Want anything to eat?" I bounced onto the other couch and turned on the TV.

"Nah," he stayed grinning at me.

"Okay what do you want? If I didn't know better I'd think you were Jeff the Killer."

He huffed. "Just thinking about how head over heels for me." I almost choked on my own spit.

"Hate to break it to you lover boy, but that's not happening anytime soon," the couch rose on my side and Conner sat happily next to me with a childish beam. "What are you, Cheshire Cat?" He imitated the rather flirtatious girls at school and purred seductively. "Ew."

I pulled myself off the couch and exhaled. "I'm bored." He shrugged, "whatcha wanna do?"

"Can you drive me to the mall?" Yes, I am asking to spend a few minutes with Conner – stuck in a car. With potential traffic. Oh no. "Wai-"

"Sure, you got a car?" He rose an eyebrow at me. "You know I walked here."

.

.

"Baby we built this house on memories! Take my picture now, shake it til you see it, and when your fantasies become a legacy, promise me a place in your house of memories! Woah-oah-ah!" I san- screamed. Conner pouted at my choice of music but I insisted. Yet he did an awful job at hiding his slight head-bob to the music. As for me, I was singing off-key, bobbing my head so hard you'd be wondering whether the volume of the music was shaking the car or if it was me. That is if you could hear yourself think.

"We're here," Conner announced and quickly turned off the music.

"You totally killed my vibe, jerk."

"Whatever," he smirked and tossed the car keys around in his hand. We approached the mall and slipped in through the crowd. Although it was Thursday the mall was buzzing. People rushed in and out of stores, one store to the next. Some girls were dress shopping and dragged their trudging boyfriends along with them. Others were kids with their extremely busy moms and basically everything in between.