Chapter Seven

Lizzie's Pov-

It has been about a week since Carl and Kayla  left, the prison has been a mess, random walker break in's , Glenn has gotten really sick but Maggie is better.

I slide out of my bed looking at Mika who was against the wall snorting in her sleep.

I walk up and down the cell block before leaving to check on Glenn.

I was suppose to stay out but who follows rules anymore, am I right?

I slide the door open covering my nose and mouth with a clean rag.

I brought a little bit of water just incase,

When I entered the sounds of coughing sounded around the block.

I walk up the stairs to were Glenn was, Hershel was already there.

"Lizzie?"

"I know, I know, I just wanted to help." I say holding out the water. Glenn looked terrible, redness under his eyes, his skin pale.

I lean on the side of the cell as Hershel works on Glenn.

"You think that Kayla and Carl are alive?"

"Yea.." He sounded unsure, "They can handle themselves pretty well."

"So, you guys were going to give her to the governor? "

"We didn't know yet..."

"Oh..."

I felt awkward so I left Hershel and went to find Judith and Beth.

I wasn't besties for the resties with Beth but over the past week we have bonded.

When I found her she was sitting at a table feeding Judith.

"Hey.." I say walking in.

"Hey Lizzie." She looked stressed and tired.

"You alright? "

"I'm fine.."

"I know its been hard.." I lean on the table looking down then over at Judith.

This was the world she was going to live in, this is the world I am going to grow up in.

"I need to go get something can you hold Judith."

She pushes Judith off to me as she walks away to go retrieve what ever she needed.

I smile holding her in my arms.

Kayla's Pov -

The sun wakes me up through one of the basement windows. I look over at Carl who rested on a dirty mattress and a blanket.

I get up pushing my bag over my shoulders then rubbing my hands together. It was pretty cold.

I sit down next to Carl's layed out body as his chest rises and falls. He was alive and doing better.

I open a can of canned beans, weren't the best but it was enough.

I take the plastic spoon that was packaged inside and feed most of it to Carl first.

I eat the rest of it placing the can with the other collection I found.

I get up walking up the stairs leaving the basement. I close the door behind me and leave from the back door.

I hop on the brown horse I found strapped to a tree miles back. Who knows how far I traveled with Carl on my back. Figuratively that is.

Who knows how much further we are going to make it, but we are running low on food.

I ride the horse out from the six houses that were placed into the semi-forest.

I spot a deer dancing along the frost tip grass. I hop off the horse pushing the strap around a branch.

I pull my bow walking forward slowly. It hears my foot slip as it charges off again.

"Shit." I walk forward a little more going up a small hill. I pull a arrow as it is below me.

I let it fly as it hits it in the side. It scampers off leaving a fresh blood trail.

I run down the small hill following the blood spotted grass too a small shed.

I walk in and get a creepy feeling. The wood of the shed as stained with blood as well. There was an exit at the other side.

I follow it seeing the rusted and destroyed buildings. I see the deer layed out by a tree with suddle breath.

I walk to it snatching my arrow out.

"Weird. " I say right before I hear a snapped branch.

I turn raising my arrow.

"Who's there." I say pointing in that direction. A middle aged man and a younger one step from behind a tree with their hands up.

"We just wanna talk.." the aged man says.

"Any sudden moves and I put one right between you're eyes, same for buddy boy."

"My names David, here is my friend James, We are from a larger group, women and children, all very hungry."

I keep my head high watching him.

"We would like to trade you for some of that meat.What do you need, Food, clothes, sh-"

"Bandages, antibiotics" I say.

"Alright follow us back to the camp.."

"Im not following you anywhere, " I say boldly, "Send buddy boy to the camp and collect the stuff.. after you can have the deer."

"Go." He says turning to the younger man.

"David." James says.

"Go." David says as the guy runs off.

"Give me the rifle." I say still holding the arrow at him.

He steps forward dropping it.

"Back up." I say grabbing it. He steps back as I put the bow to the side holding the rifle now.

"Lets get inside, to shelter us from the cold."

He was right, there was no snow but it was really cold.

"Take him with us." I say looking at the now dead deer. David nods dragging the deer as I follow him into a shanty building.