Chapter Eighteen

My eyes open at the sound of a rushing by truck and then a scream. It was the next day, I was alive.  I turn looking around slowly getting from the tree trunk. 

My ankles still burned with fresh fire but I walk following into the woods hearing the scream.  I stumble coming to the rushing river seeing a walker floating away then a woman pulling a child from the mud. 

"I'm coming!" My throat hurting but I yell. 

She couldn't hear me and I couldn't swim. She struggled pulling the blonde child from what ever had her in the muddy area. 

I slowly trudge into the river trying to make it to the other side. The child's shoulder was bit as blood gushed from her bite. The scream of her made me sick to my stomach.

The pain, the emotion. A gun shot rung out as I stood still in the rushing water. The lady had killed the infected that bit her daughter. She slowly picked her up as I felt my heart drop.

My foot slips as I plunge into the water screaming for my life. I keep my head up trying to fight the direction of the water as I slowly drag with the rest of the water.

The woman leaves the area still holding the small girl. 

I grab on to a long wooden branch drifting as it snaps sending me farther. I catch the ground with my arm and it sends a spiraling amount of pain into it. 

I mange to pull myself up from the rushing current but collapse after feeling the darkness creep into my sight. Was I starting to turn? 

A walker with it's legs missing claws at the ground to get to me. I turn my head to it as it got closer. I blink as it got closer but so did the darkness. 

It raised it's body over me getting ready to chomp my neck when I finally lift my arm stabbing it.  It falls as I rip the knife out. 

When the body drops to the ground I notice smoke rising into the air, like it was a fire started. I crawl to my knees as I regain the feeling in my feet.

"Come on Bonnie, fuck that infection." Is all I could tell myself as I work toward the smoke.