Chapter Nine

I turned seeing that it was another bridge with the walled and the cellings, this one leading up.

"C'mon" He says walking into the last room before outside.

"Get what you need." He says searching corners. I walk and find a silver pistol a necklace and a picture.

The necklace had a firefly with its wings spread out, the pistol had a blood stain on the end and the picture....the picture was me and a old friend.  I take it.

It was a corner covered in blood before I hear David's voice.

"James, drop the gun." I turn and see james pointing a pistol at me.

"Give her the medicine." He tosses me a bag of the supplies. I put it in my bag and look up.

"The craziest thing happened.. I sent my daughter and a couple of my own guys out to find food... she had that same jacket.." I shoot up snatching the rifle from my bag aimimg.

"No need to get mad, you are just a little girl."

I back up seeing James in the way.

"Move the fuck out the way." James looks up at David.

"Let her go."

I run out of the open door down the steps as I hear David's voice.  I keep running rifle in hand.

I slide at the heels as I find my horse still there thank god. I hop on looking behind me before taking off.

I get back to the six houses and step down from the horse. I hold the leather strap walking the horse down the hill.

I make it to the house I was keeping Carl in. I put the horse in the back before running inside.

I yank open the door to the basement and run down the steps.

"Carl?" I say not seeing him move. He says something but it was more of a mumble.

"Thank god." I wrap him up with the bandages and give him some of the medicine.

"These clothes gotta go Carl." I say as a faint smile appears on his face.The smile almost brings me to tears as I get up to find him some more clothes.

After ten minutes I find a thicker jacket and a lighter blue long sleeved patterned shirt.

I help him slide his shirt off and put on the new one, I try to keep my eyes off of him. Try.

Our eyes meet as he goes back to lay down. I lay down beside him on the cold foor using my bag as a pillow. His hand reaches out and it brushes my cheek.

I smile as we fall asleep.