Chapter Fourteen

"You know I was trying to keep you alive." David says as we march back up the hill.

"You make everything hard."

"You were going to kill me."

He doesn't respond. I slow up as I feel the end of his gun to my back.

"Go." He pokes me with it.  I turn pushing the gun from my back and rushing him over with my shoulder.

He tries to get up but my knee connects with his face before I run back down the hill.

I get back to the river in short time.

"Get more fucking dogs!" David calls to someone. In seconds  I hear car motors, dogs , and people coming after me.

I look at the river and quickly charge in. I raise my elbow as my waist descends into the water. I'm not the best swimmer.

A bullet splashes right next to me as I turn. David had collected James and two other men. I pull myself up on the other side of the river struggling.

"Get to the other side!" David yells as he takes aim again.

I run into the forest losing his gunshots.

I am quick on my feet  sliding under trees, Dodging branches, all until the dogs came.

One pushed me over and flew over me while two more circle around.

I back up grabbing a branch as one launches at me. I hit it in the neck with the branch making it hit a rock.

Another one does the same but I push it back. I tug the stick to get it back but I fail as one tackles me from the front.

I scream grasping a rock hitting it in the nose as it gets off howling.

I kick another one in the throat as they all draw back but one. I throw the rock hitting it again as it runs off with the other two.

I run to a large rock as I place my hands on two small ledges and lift myself up as I hear more noise.

"Calm those fucking dogs." I hear James yell. I get to the top of the rock as it leads out further into the woods.

It looked familiar. The place I was in. I turn looking over the edge. It was Woodbury.

James and David they worked for the governor it all made sense. What about Carl? I need to find Carl.